The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question

How many question can you miss on the ASA exam and still pass.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nig85
How many question can you miss on the ASA exam and still pass.
Depends on who does not need umpires
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Last week we were given the "first" 2005 test. It seems the SP and last 50 questions are from last years test. UIC said we could do either that one, or the one that is on-line at the ASA site. We have already done the revised one, but not turned it in yet.

UIC was unclear about how it will be graded, but stressed the purpose of the test is to promote study! I have never seen the results of my ASA tests, but I've been calling anyway!

It would seem if I do the wrong one, I could possibly miss over half of the answers!

nig85, just take the test seriously, and verify all your answers. You will be fine.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Last week we were given the "first" 2005 test. It seems the SP and last 50 questions are from last years test. UIC said we could do either that one, or the one that is on-line at the ASA site. We have already done the revised one, but not turned it in yet.

UIC was unclear about how it will be graded, but stressed the purpose of the test is to promote study! I have never seen the results of my ASA tests, but I've been calling anyway!

It would seem if I do the wrong one, I could possibly miss over half of the answers!

nig85, just take the test seriously, and verify all your answers. You will be fine.
How is you UIC going to grade the original test? The answer sheet is keyed to the real 2005 test, not to the test actually distributed.

Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

We did the same as JEL. However, thanks to Mike, I knew the test was
going to be re-issued. Told the UIC and deputy commissioner
and they said if ASA wanted us to re-test that they could send a rep
here for us to do it. Never see the results. First 50 questions we took
on our own, last 50,(which we had to go back later and take)
we took as a class open book style. No one really knows how we did
score, but with the book and aid of all in attendance, most probably
did have a passing score.
IMO, if you read the definiations sections, go over all the changes/new rules
and hit the book before calling any games (ASA) you should be fine.

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:11 AM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Told the UIC and deputy commissioner
and they said if ASA wanted us to re-test that they could send a rep here for us to do it.
Wow, to use a term of my youth, what a cop out!

Sure, ASA is going to send someone to every local association just to retest umpires of which most do in an open-book/discussion group manner. Yeah, ASA has all sort of people sitting around in OKC for such an event.

If the UIC were in OKC for the Clinic, s/he would have heard Kevin Ryan tell us to throw all the test away and not use them.

ASA has done a "reprint", but will send them to the state/metro associations which ask for them. ASA will not automatically send tests to everyone.

Many have just taken the test from the web site, so I guess ASA is hoping to save some shipping expense for those areas not needing the new tests.

Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

No argument what-so-ever on the *cop out* theory.

She also informed us that if we cancelled out of an ASA event
because of other committments, she would pull our cards.
90% of us do NFHS and AFA.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

How is you UIC going to grade the original test? The answer sheet is keyed to the real 2005 test, not to the test actually distributed.

I really don't know how the grading will be done, nor who actually grades the test, (that is; where will it be
sent). He wasn't sure whether the answers or the questions were incorrect, but didn't act as if it really mattered which one to turn in.

I have never recieved a grade, or graded test back, so I don't know if I have ever passed an ASA test anyway! I keep getting assignments though!

My wife and I have already completed the revised test, and that's what we will turn in. We have also offered to print off the revised test for any of the rest in our association who want it. Besides, if I've already done half of the test before, I would rather cover new ground this year.

Anyway, like glen said, Thanks to this board and Mike for pointing out the revised test. Also to all for the discussions which help to complete it. (NOT THE ANSWERS, JUST A POINT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION).

I never liked tests in school, but I find these kinda fun.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No argument what-so-ever on the *cop out* theory.

She also informed us that if we cancelled out of an ASA event
because of other committments, she would pull our cards.
90% of us do NFHS and AFA.
#1. You are not registered with your UIC, but with ASA. No one has the authority to "unregister" someone. A commissioner though does have the authority, supposedly with good reason, to declare an umpire as not being "in good standing" with ASA.

#2. Someone might want to remind this UIC that you are not her employee. If she acts as if she is, you might want to ask her when she is going to remit the appropriate FICA payments. And then there is the Worker's Comp issues.

However, if you pulled out of a previously made commitment to work another organization's game/tournament, I would probably remove you for consideration of future games/tournaments. To be honest, I don't know how anyone could defend an argument that a UIC was wrong for doing such a thing.

Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
However, if you pulled out of a previously made commitment to work another organization's game/tournament, I would probably remove you for consideration of future games/tournaments. To be honest, I don't know how anyone could defend an argument that a UIC was wrong for doing such a thing.

That was not the wording. It was if "I call you and you are
doing a different association and ASA has something, I will
pull your card".

We all know not likely, but statement was made.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

It happens a lot

Mike,
I know you have good intentions but many of the ASA people are doing exactly what is descibed in the column.
It isn't right but it happens all the time.
Lets face it, ASA isn't the only organization that does this, but ASA is loosing ground in many areas and is cutting off its own nose to spite its face.
I know umpires who missed out on the ISA Worlds because they worked an ASA or NSA event.
Same goes for umpires who are supposed to get an ASA National when they work for one of the other alphabets.
Caa Caa happens, unfortunately too many commissioners and UIC's only want to protect their territory instead of using common sense.
Sure, some get challenged with the FICA and Comp issues, but the umpire is still cut and working for opposing organizations.
Only now that ASA,NSA,ISA,AFA,USSSA,etc or whom ever is out more qualified umpires.
In theory we all know it is bad, in reality.......common as dirt.

[Edited by scottk_61 on Feb 27th, 2005 at 06:52 PM]
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,

pull your card".

I can only respond to what you typed and that isn't what you typed.

Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: It happens a lot

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Mike,
I know you have good intentions but many of the ASA people are doing exactly what is descibed in the column.
It isn't right but it happens all the time.
Lets face it, ASA isn't the only organization that does this, but ASA is loosing ground in many areas and is cutting off its own nose to spite its face.
I know umpires who missed out on the ISA Worlds because they worked an ASA or NSA event.
Same goes for umpires who are supposed to get an ASA National when they work for one of the other alphabets.
Caa Caa happens, unfortunately too many commissioners and UIC's only want to protect their territory instead of using common sense.
Sure, some get challenged with the FICA and Comp issues, but the umpire is still cut and working for opposing organizations.
Only now that ASA,NSA,ISA,AFA,USSSA,etc or whom ever is out more qualified umpires.
In theory we all know it is bad, in reality.......common as dirt.

[Edited by scottk_61 on Feb 27th, 2005 at 06:52 PM]
Okay, let's try this one. What organization trains most of the better umpires?

There is no question that umpires are ICs and can do what they please. However, like it or not, there is also no entitlement here either.

I know of umpires which I have trained who will not work ASA tournaments, but will suck up PONY, NSA, etc. in a heart beat. Why? Because most of them are lazy umpires who only see the green, wear what THEY please and work the games in the manner THEY see fit, organization be damned.

All I've ever asked is that when I need umpires, they give me the same consideration that they expect from me. Unfortunately, there are too many umpires that believe it is all about them, and the street runs one-way. Luckily, I don't need those umpires as much as they believe, but the day will come that I may and what do you think I will get in return for all the training, clinics, schools and phone calls I receive all hours of the day and night? Not a damn thing. BTW, other than a $15 charge for the DASA State Umpire School, all training in Delaware is free of charge.

And then, to top all of that, these same umpires whine about not being sent away to work Nationals. Forget the fact they refuse to go to a National School. Forget the fact that their idea of attending a clinic is signing in and bull****ting for 3 hours in a local bar. Forget the fact that they even ask me for an opinion about a play encountered working for an opposing organization and I'll do the best to give them an intelligent answer.

I don't agree with what some commissioners and UICs do (BTW, I know as a fact that some of these UICs take that stand at the direction of their commissioners), but unless you've stood on this side of the fence, you are speaking without full knowledge of a good part of the discussion.

I do not believe or operate in a vindictive manner toward umpires like this, but if you put yourselves in the shoes of people responsible for getting umpires to work Championship Play, you may have a different opinion.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mike,

pull your card".

I can only respond to what you typed and that isn't what you typed.

You are correct sir. :-)
That is why I sent the second reply, to let you know what she
actually said. ^5

--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: It happens a lot

Okay, let's try this one. What organization trains most of the better umpires?

Granted, it is usually ASA but not always

There is no question that umpires are ICs and can do what they please. However, like it or not, there is also no entitlement here either.

I know of umpires which I have trained who will not work ASA tournaments, but will suck up PONY, NSA, etc. in a heart beat. Why? Because most of them are lazy umpires who only see the green, wear what THEY please and work the games in the manner THEY see fit, organization be damned.

All I've ever asked is that when I need umpires, they give me the same consideration that they expect from me. Unfortunately, there are too many umpires that believe it is all about them, and the street runs one-way. Luckily, I don't need those umpires as much as they believe, but the day will come that I may and what do you think I will get in return for all the training, clinics, schools and phone calls I receive all hours of the day and night? Not a damn thing. BTW, other than a $15 charge for the DASA State Umpire School, all training in Delaware is free of charge.

And then, to top all of that, these same umpires whine about not being sent away to work Nationals. Forget the fact they refuse to go to a National School. Forget the fact that their idea of attending a clinic is signing in and bull****ting for 3 hours in a local bar. Forget the fact that they even ask me for an opinion about a play encountered working for an opposing organization and I'll do the best to give them an intelligent answer.

I don't agree with what some commissioners and UICs do (BTW, I know as a fact that some of these UICs take that stand at the direction of their commissioners), but unless you've stood on this side of the fence, you are speaking without full knowledge of a good part of the discussion.

Mike, I have been exactly where you are at.
After quite a bit of frustration with a commissioner that is neither honest or ethical, we couldn't keep good umpires working.
The unpires do not desire to work for unethical commissioners (or UIC's when that happens)
We still offer training and have many people who work many levels of play both within and without ASA.
We have a great number of ISF umpires as well as USA/ASA Elite.
More and more of them are turning away from ASA due to the unethical behavior and no real course of appeal when it comes to that behavior.
It has been commonly said by many I know that when they get a real commissioner, they will return to ASA but until then they will work elsewhere.

In other words, they gave up on the BS and chose not to be a part of the vindictive behavior.

Now having said what I did, the same thing happens in all the other codes too.
It is not unique to ASA or any other code.

Don't whine and cry about the umpires who do work for the green only if you are unable to instill in them a sense of committment and reliability of your organization.

I don't have a real answer as to how to correct it,
If I did, maybe all the umpires and the teams would be happier but until then, we don't have much we can do.

You are the UIC and actually you are powerless unless your commissioner grants you authority. I believe your commissioner is a pretty good person, not all of them are.

I do not believe or operate in a vindictive manner toward umpires like this, but if you put yourselves in the shoes of people responsible for getting umpires to work Championship Play, you may have a different opinion. [/B][/QUOTE]