Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Keep your day job!
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Roger:

I assumed your post was to get feedback on whether or not you handled this situation properly. I am simply giving you my opinion. Use it or not. If you posted to let everybody know what a great ump you are for running a coach, you should have just told us.

Why are you so defensive. Read different posts, throw out the opinions you don't want to use and put into practice the ones you do.

There are some umps here that have been doing this a long time and have a lot of wisdom. Listen to them, they will make your job easier and make you a better umpire.

Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Roger,

Even tho I agreed with your ejection and for several reasons,
you do seem to get offensive when people respond to your questions.
DNTUM P gave good advice.

Don't be so quick to judge how your question was answered. There
are a lot of years of experience of umpiring and rule guru's on
this board. These guys are sharp and most are only trying to be
helpful.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

That's why we read this.

The problem with writing things is that many times people cannot feel the meaning as they can when people are talking.

Relax Roger, our job is to manage the game not be the game. I wasn't there. I didn't see the coaches demeanor. Maybe he kicked himself out. We can and need to control the tension on the field and put out the fire calmly before they become blazes.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

This probably was one of those had to be there type situations to really make a judgement, but remember you did ask for an opinion based on you're story. This forum won't do you any good if you are going to get you're feelings hurt because you don't like the answers you get.
Just remember, don't go looking for trouble when on the field it will find you often enough without any help.
Good game managment doesn't have anything to do with worrying about who's field it is or requesting time to you're satisfaction . If you were walking back to the plate with you're back to the runners and an infielder with the ball then thats really looking for trouble otherwise the pitcher should have had the ball in the circle you're heading to the plate and the ball was dead, look at it the same as if you came out to clean the plate you may not have called time to do it but as soon as you turn you're back to the infield you've got time. So if the coach came out to talk to you and wasn't making anything personal why did you feel the need to eject him right then? Answer his question and move on if he continues then ring him up. We are there to manage and judge their game it's reasonable to assume you will be asked to explain that judgement from time to time. Just because he may have raised his voice a little, phrased the question in a manner that may not have been as polite as you would like or came on the field to talk face to face..would you rather he scream from the dugout?.. doesn't always make it USC. This is a competitive sport and players and coaches will get caught up in the moment sometimes.
So the "put on a show" comment gives the coach an out without having to eject or threaten to eject (another bad habit) and still gets youre point across.
The most important thing you need is a thick skin. Don't put up with any crap from coaches and players but let them play. You don't want to CONTROL the game, were in the managment business and there is a differance.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Roger...You asked a group of seasoned umpires for an opinion on something, and then you get mad if the answer doesnt fit? it may be a situation where we would have to be there to get the full effect from the coach, but dont be offended if someone tells you it was kinda quick. It looks like it might have been. Why not do this. Call time.Explain to the coach that he is NOT to walk onto the field during a live ball situtation, and THEN address his issue. If he refuses to listen to you during this conversation THEN eject him. Now if hes been barking all game, the trigger might be quicker... and dont be upset by the terminology Mr. Rowe uses. just listen to his message..
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Bridges
probably even better than allowing coaches to enter the field,under live-ball circumstance,to yell at an umpire over a judgement call? Blocking the umpires path back to the plate? Great call!
Let's get back to this live ball talk. If an umpire is working solo and turns to go back to their position at the plate, you shouldn't have a live ball situation.

I'm not saying the coach was correct, but when was the last time ANYONE saw a coach who wanted to discuss a play stand off to the side, waving to the umpire saying, "My good man, would you kindly divert your path in this direction so I may vigorously voice my objection to your decision"?

Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Mike,all he needed to do was say time,it would have been granted! Then we could have discussed the call in a proper way! Him getting tossed was brought on by himself! Im having a little difficulty understanding why you say it was wrong to toss him. I dont want to toss anyone,but NO coach is going to run out on the field,arguing a call!!!!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

He can do all the barking he wants to from the dugout,but when he crosses the line,that is plain wrong and im sure he knew it.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I just dont think thats necessarily automatic. Im sure it didnt cross his mind when he came to you about the call.... why not just remind him?
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I guess its like ol blue said,you had to be there.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Yes you would..but just remember,I would NOT use walking on the field during a live ball as an automatic trigger... this wont be the last time it happens..
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Darrell,he didnt WALK onto the field! After I made the call I had taken maybe 5-6 steps toward the plate,adjusting my clicker as i walked,I look up and hes in front of me! KEEP IN MIND,hescoming from the 3rd base coaching box. That is not walking on the field,that is charging!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

It will NOT be the last time it happens....
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I absolutely agree with that!