The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Crow hop is never called! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/16998-crow-hop-never-called.html)

Dakota Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:30am

Nice to know the crow hop controversy goes on everywhere...

(This link was posted in the latest pi--ing contest on the eteamz coach's board)

Crow hop article.

whiskers_ump Tue Dec 14, 2004 08:31am

Tom,
You really trying to start something, huh?

Skahtboi Tue Dec 14, 2004 09:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Nice to know the crow hop controversy goes on everywhere...

(This link was posted in the latest pi--ing contest on the eteamz coach's board)

Crow hop article.

So....is an illegal dive still a delayed dead ball? :rolleyes:

Dakota Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Tom,
You really trying to start something, huh?

Well, maybe! But actually, I just thought it was very funny that almost the same argument is being made in a completely different sport about officials turning an intentional "blind eye" to an infraction called a "crow hop."

bkbjones Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:57am

A good friend of mine says they NEVER call them for leaping.

umpire34974 Fri Dec 17, 2004 02:38pm

If you do not call the "Hop" please do not work a game with me. I WILL call it on the first pitch or the last.

IMHO if we continue to turn a blind eye to this, or any rule violation; WE are cheating. Either enforce ALL the rules each day or burn your shirts.

( I have singed a few ... Learned my lessons the hard way. )

Regards,

John

Roger Bridges Wed Dec 29, 2004 08:15am

crow hop

I dont have a problem calling the crow hop,however if the pivot foot comes down either vertical or with the toes slightly pointed slightly backwards,and the ball has been released without replanting the pivot foot,what is the proper call? The pitcher leaped,however released the ball without replanting.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:17am

Re: crow hop

Quote:

Originally posted by Roger Bridges
I dont have a problem calling the crow hop,however if the pivot foot comes down either vertical or with the toes slightly pointed slightly backwards,and the ball has been released without replanting the pivot foot,what is the proper call? The pitcher leaped,however released the ball without replanting.
Sounds to me like you just about gave the textbook definition of an illegal pitch,
Quote:

The pitcher leaped

Roger Bridges Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:23am

is it mandatory that the pivot foot remains in contact with the rubber until the pitch is released? the foot is either going to go up or forward.

Roger Bridges Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:34am

also,we are now discussing leaping,not to be confused with crow-hopping.crow-hopping being replanting the pivot foot in order to push off again,at a closer distance than the rubber.i call the crow-hop every time i see it,but around here the coaches seem to teach them not to crow-hop,however leaping(slightly)seeems more common,especially in 12u and 14u

IRISHMAFIA Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:48pm

Roger,

Welcome to the board.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...wen/newbie.gif

I think you were the one who mentioned leaping.

Speaking ASA,

If the pitcher is a female, she must maintain contact with the pitcher's plate or drag away with the pivot foot remaining in contact with the ground, just like it states in the rule book.

If the pitcher is a male, he may leap without penalty as long as the toes of the pivot foot remain pointing down.

In no case may any pitcher replant prior to releasing the pitch.

Roger Bridges Wed Dec 29, 2004 01:27pm

leaping

Thank you Mike,it is girls,and i will start calling it! roger

FUBLUE Wed Dec 29, 2004 01:57pm

Crow Hop, Leap, etc

Worked a Men's state tournament (D level, so no national) and the UIC made this statement: "There will be no illegal pitches thrown this weekend." When asked what he meant, he said, "there will be no illegal pitches thrown this weekend." Enough Said. (I called none...because I saw none, right!) :)

Leaping is one thing a lot of coaches don't understand, or claim to understand. They don't see it as an advantage, but it is. So if I see it, I call it.

Not going to get into the scenarios of when it should NOT be called, but I definitely have opinions about that! ;)

[Edited by FUBLUE on Dec 29th, 2004 at 02:03 PM]

Roger Bridges Wed Dec 29, 2004 02:06pm

I guess maybe he just didnt want to deal with the arguments that will surely follow,i dont necessarily agree with that,but hes the uic so i would have done exactly what you did!

FUBLUE Wed Dec 29, 2004 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Roger Bridges
I guess maybe he just didnt want to deal with the arguments that will surely follow,i dont necessarily agree with that,but hes the uic so i would have done exactly what you did!
The reasoning is solid...men's ball in this state is played at a higher level (most teams are A or Major, a few B and C). What they are trying to do is develop younger teams, younger pitchers (those throwing in the state were either mid/late 40's or mid/late 20's). So, let them learn how to throw strikes HOWEVER they want, and when they get to the upper levels (B, A, Major) they can "adjust to the legal way" and will not be as frustrated as they could have been trying to; A. learn how to throw strikes, B. how to throw legal.

Same holds true (to me) about girls learning to pitch. A very successful pitching coach in my area teaches a leap, then takes it away once pitcher learns how to throw strikes with speed. He teaches a crow hop. He teaches all kinds of "technicalities" against pitching legally...but he eventually takes them away so that by State Tournament time, the girls are legal.

I'm not saying let the girls pitch illegal all the time, but most opposing coaches don't care how the girls throw the ball, just that they are throwing it underhand towards the plate.

A story: I had a game last season where one pitcher was doing about three things way wrong. Opposing coach politely asks me to do something, so inning by inning I spend about 10 seconds reminding the girl what to do to correct herself. By the end of the game, she was throwing just as hard, just as accurate as she was when she was illegal. She was actually more accurate, and the opposing coaches team was having problems hitting her for an inning or so. It was a JV game, so I was able to "get away with more teaching." Varsity level, well, I'm not sure what I would have done.