The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Likely ASA Rule Changes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/16353-likely-asa-rule-changes.html)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:18am

The following has made it out of committee:

Adding the pitcher and catcher to those involved in the IFR.

Men's Major SP home runs change to 12 from 15

When the time limit is in play, the clock begins at the first pitch

**The batter in SP will assume a 1-1 count when entering the batter's box and will receive a courtesy foul.

This was a split vote by the committees and will result in a floor fight. Umpires and SP rule committe approved. All others rejected the proposals.

Women's Open and Co-ed Major divisions need not run the bases on an out of the park home run

Concerning SP stealing: Delete 8.4.G 1 & 2. Replace with:

The ball remains alive until the pitcher has possession of the ball in the infield and all play is over. Runners not advancing return to the last base legally touched.

This allows for any runner to advance prior to the pitcher receiving the ball in the infield.

Womens Open SP Division will now allow stealing

Change in obstruction ruling: An obstructed runner who attains the base to which they were protected will be in jeopardy should they leave that base when a subsequents play is made on another runner.

The LBR will be in effect when the pitcher has possession of the ball within the circles for:

1 all runners when the ball is live;
2 the batter-runner who touches first base.

WestMichBlue Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:27am

The LBR will be in effect when the pitcher has possession of the ball within the circles for: 1 all runners when the ball is live;

Wow, we just changed that maybe a couple years ago, to not be in effect until the B-R reaches 1B. What is the rationale for a change back?

WMB

whiskers_ump Tue Nov 09, 2004 07:29am

Thanks Mike.

I personally like the addition to the LBR.

(So it probably won't pass)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 09, 2004 09:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by WestMichBlue
The LBR will be in effect when the pitcher has possession of the ball within the circles for: 1 all runners when the ball is live;

Wow, we just changed that maybe a couple years ago, to not be in effect until the B-R reaches 1B. What is the rationale for a change back?

WMB

Apparently, someone didn't like the games the coaches had the runners playing while waiting for the BR to reach 1B

Dakota Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Apparently, someone didn't like the games the coaches had the runners playing while waiting for the BR to reach 1B
Heaven forbid we have softball players playing GAMES! :D (I am neutral on this change, except that the change will probably make enforcement easier, esp with single man games.)

KJ'sDAD Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:46am

Dakota,

How does having a rule go into effect for different players at different times make enforcement easier?

Goes into effect for everyone but the BR when the ball is in the circle. Goes into effect for BR when ball is in the circle and she reaches first base.

Kevin

CecilOne Tue Nov 09, 2004 03:36pm

Please explain how the RCR (aka LBR) can apply to a BR who has not reached first base. There is no choice of direction, so is it only if the BR stops to decoy the fielders?

KJ'sDAD Tue Nov 09, 2004 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CecilOne
Please explain how the RCR (aka LBR) can apply to a BR who has not reached first base. There is no choice of direction, so is it only if the BR stops to decoy the fielders?
Clearly it can not be applied prior to the BR reaching first, but with this revision it may be applied to any other baserunners prior to the BR reaching first.

A slow BR draws a walk and jogs to first. F2 quickly returns the ball to F1 in the circle. R1 at third is now compelled to return to third or head home, but the BR still hasn't reached first.
It changes how the game is played. Now instead of a six step lead toward home when the BR is rounding first and headed for second, R1 has her momentum heading back toward third, if she isn't there already.

It isn't a big deal and everyone plays by the same rules, but it does change the game.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 09, 2004 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by KJ'sDAD

It changes how the game is played. Now instead of a six step lead toward home when the BR is rounding first and headed for second, R1 has her momentum heading back toward third, if she isn't there already.

It isn't a big deal and everyone plays by the same rules, but it does change the game.

No, it doesn't change the game. It just takes the game back to where it was last year.

BTW, have you ever noticed that at the upper levels they don't need to play these silly chicken **** games on the bases? How can these teams possibly win?

What changes the game from the manner in which it should be played is the coaching of these children to win at all costs.

KJ'sDAD Tue Nov 09, 2004 05:31pm

Quote:

Quote:

No, it doesn't change the game. It just takes the game back to where it was last year.

BTW, have you ever noticed that at the upper levels they don't need to play these silly chicken **** games on the bases? How can these teams possibly win?

What changes the game from the manner in which it should be played is the coaching of these children to win at all costs.

Mike,
Backwards is a change. Just because the rule flip flops and reverts to how it once was doesn't mean that it is not a change.
I'm not arguing that this is a good or bad thing - it just is.
How is it chicken **** if it is within the rules?
Again I'm not arguing for or against the change. Coaches must coach within the rules, whatever they may be.
Maybe I'm just arguing for the sake of the argument - sorry.
Kevin

whiskers_ump Tue Nov 09, 2004 05:32pm

Quote:

[/B]
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-035.gif

And finally the nail has been hit on the head.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 09, 2004 06:05pm

Quote:

Mike,
Backwards is a change. Just because the rule flip flops and reverts to how it once was doesn't mean that it is not a change.
I'm not arguing that this is a good or bad thing - it just is.
How is it chicken **** if it is within the rules?
Again I'm not arguing for or against the change. Coaches must coach within the rules, whatever they may be.
Maybe I'm just arguing for the sake of the argument - sorry.
Kevin

It is not backwards, it is a correction of an ill-conceived change. Mistakes get made in all aspects of life, including softball.

A player can slide into a base and sweep the legs of a fielder standing on or near the base. It is legal, but the defense's coach will be the first in the umpire's face telling him how CS that act was.

There is no value to the games people play on the bases. It is more likely that a catcher will throw the ball away and runners advance than it is that they will pick-off a runner.

oppool Tue Nov 09, 2004 06:16pm

New Rules

Seem like some good changes. I hope the 1-1 count passes for SP it does speed up the game and glad to see they changed the confusing base stealing rule that was in place.

My only beef would be the clock starting on the 1st pitch of the game. Are they talking 1st warm-up I can live with that BUT if they are talking 1st actual pitch that doesnt seem right in my opinion. Its hard enough now getting a game going with coaches never ready at pre-game, then wanting that 5 min. speech to the team before they send em out on the ballfield and then the team gathering before a game starts. Let's get em on the field and start play.

JMOs

Don

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:47pm

Re: New Rules

Quote:

Originally posted by oppool

My only beef would be the clock starting on the 1st pitch of the game. Are they talking 1st warm-up I can live with that BUT if they are talking 1st actual pitch that doesnt seem right in my opinion. Its hard enough now getting a game going with coaches never ready at pre-game, then wanting that 5 min. speech to the team before they send em out on the ballfield and then the team gathering before a game starts. Let's get em on the field and start play.

JMOs

Don

I agree, but once again, this is not a new rule. I tried to get it changed after it mysteriously disappeared from the rule book last year.

Obviously, the staff prefers a standard definitive start time.

VaASAump Wed Nov 10, 2004 08:12am

Mike,

Can you remind Bob Savoie about the discussion we had at the regional meeting regarding the wear of the ASA cap by umpires?

Thanks,
Serg