The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   It can't be a strike if...... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/16323-cant-strike-if.html)

Andy Sun Nov 07, 2004 09:14pm

....the catcher doesn't catch it, Blue!!

This utterance came from a coach in a Jr College fall ball game this weekend. 1-1 count, beautiful pitch that catches the outside corner about thigh-high. For some reason, the catcher doesn't hold the ball in her glove. The catcher was set up for the outside pitch and did not have to noticeably move her glove to the pitch.

Is this the "expected" call at the college level? I welcome all opinions, but I am especially intersted in hearing from those of you that do college ball.

azbigdawg Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:27pm

hopefully you rang her up like a customer at a discount mall

whiskers_ump Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
....the catcher doesn't catch it, Blue!!

This utterance came from a coach in a Jr College fall ball game this weekend. 1-1 count, beautiful pitch that catches the outside corner about thigh-high. For some reason, the catcher doesn't hold the ball in her glove. The catcher was set up for the outside pitch and did not have to noticeably move her glove to the pitch.

Is this the "expected" call at the college level? I welcome all opinions, but I am especially intersted in hearing from those of you that do college ball.

Andy,

Not what you would call a real college umpire. (I only do 5-7 games a year).

However, I always hate it, at no matter what level, when you as blue call a
strike and the catcher misses it. If by "is this the "expected" call, you
mean call it a ball because F2 missed it? No. I would not think so.
Not if ball in your opinion was clearly a strike, it should be called
a strike. You are not responsible for the catcher's abilities.

JEL Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:17pm

Andy,

As glen I do only about 10 or so college games a year (BB included). I don't beleive college coaches expect a ball on a pitch the catcher can't handle. If you find one who does, ask them what they would like you to call on a D3K!

Now some travel ball coaches really beleive it. I "lost" a coach who argued that about a month ago.

whiskers_ump Mon Nov 08, 2004 01:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
Andy,

As glen I do only about 10 or so college games a year (BB included). I don't beleive college coaches expect a ball on a pitch the catcher can't handle. If you find one who does, ask them what they would like you to call on a D3K!

Now some travel ball coaches really beleive it. I "lost" a coach who argued that about a month ago.

JEL,

I definately agree with you here, however, most, not all D3K's are
pitches swung at and missed by the catcher. It is a good rebuttal to
use though when questioned by a coach and I think I will add it to my
list.

jstark23 Mon Nov 08, 2004 01:14am

in my opinion that axiom (sp?) only applies to the borderline pitch, kinda the same way that you wouldn't ring up the borderline pitch when the catcher gets crossed up and has to jump or lunge at it

*** Edited to complete the thought***

Steve M Mon Nov 08, 2004 05:17am

Andy,
I've got no problem with calling that pitch a strike in college. I probably will not call a borderline pitch a strike that isn't caught. Each one is a bit different. I will say to your catcher something like "You'll make it a whole lot easier for me if you catch those."

Then again, don't you have Emily & some others pretty much readily available? I'd be interested in her take, too.