The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

...and since the board is slow lately, I just thought that I would poll the board and see how many of you, when there is no tournament rule to indicate otherwise, flip the coin only once. How many twice? How many more than twice(if that is possible)?

I, myself am a one flip guy. Whoever arrives at the plate conference first is heads, the other is tails.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not an ump but in all the leagues and tourneys I've played in, I've never seen them flip more than once

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I always flip twice...team on first base side is heads, third base side is tails. Winner calls heads or tails.

Only exception is if one of the two coaches wants to have the other team call the flip.

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

One flip only. Home team take the field!

Scott,

Are you going to do the college look tourney in NRH? Saw your name on the email from Jay.

Gary
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I do it twice, one flip to see who calls the flip, because thats the way I've always seen it done.

Long ago in another life (as a TB coach) We had a flip at the plate and the ump said you are tails, you are heads and flipped. We lost and other team chose home. My assistant coach began to instruct the umpire that the way we do this at home.... I really wanted to hide! The PU told him "It's too early in the day to start this" as I was trying to pull my guy away. I have only seen one guy argue the coin toss, that was it!
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago, my partner did the one flip as was his usual routine. Losing coach gets upset with the flip format. (Only because he lost.) Mind you, he was told prior to the flip that there was only going to be ONE.

One thing lead to another and the coach was ejected before the actual game even started!
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Up until 2 weekends ago, I'd say I only flip once with the team that travelled the furthest calling it. @ weekends ago, I had the coin land on it's side, straight up & down - and there it stayed. So I have done a game where I flipped the coin twice now.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

my hell, flip once and play, why does it have to be so controversial... I know I've been in games where it was a good thing we were home to come back in the last inning and I know I've been in other games where we were visitor and we wish we would have had the last at-bats, but truly in every one of those games, you can't pin the win or loss on being home or visitor. Flip it and play, bring your "A" game, because the majority of the time, the team that hits and fields better is going to win regardless of who won the first (or second apparently) coin toss. I mean if a player or coach really cares that the other team got to call the coin toss, (thus the need for 2 flips) maybe they're putting too much effort/emphasis on something that is pure luck instead of just kickin' a$$ on the field. Am I missing something here? Just my 2 cents on this whole 1 vs. 2 flips.

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Once. Prior to the flip, I ask who is going to call it. If I do not get a response, I will point toward whomever I feel like and tell them to make the call.

And, yes, I cover the coin, ask for their call, flip the coin in the air and always let the coin drop to the ground.

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Flipping

I only flip one time. After showing both sides of the coin to the coaches I say "this side is for your team and the other side is for your opponent. After the flip I ask the winner of the flip whether they want to be home or visior.

No fuss....no muss!

Michael
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Most in this area flip twice. Catch first one, let
final flip hit ground. Like Steve, I had one land in
the sand on its edge, so I did a three flipper.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Never have I called NSA, but coached in quite a few in tournies. A lot of those the teams were to do the coin toss and determine dugout selection (1B side home, 3B visitors) before the umpires got there. Of course that was not an NSA rule, just the way the TD set it up.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

If the first coin flip is to determine who calls the second coin flip, statistically it serves no purpose whatsoever.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
If the first coin flip is to determine who calls the second coin flip, statistically it serves no purpose whatsoever.
No, it doesn't statistically influence home/visitors, but tossing twice allows coaches to think they have a fair shake. I admit, when I first was asked to do it in a state tournmanet, it didn't make much sense. But coaches around here seem to expect it, so I do it.

Had a team this year ask if they could be visitors...other team wanted to be home team...everyone happy? Play ball!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
One flip only. Home team take the field!

Scott,

Are you going to do the college look tourney in NRH? Saw your name on the email from Jay.

Gary
I am thinking maybe I am. I haven't talked to my local association's assignor yet to make sure that nothing is going on that weekend. But I am supposed to see him tomorrow for a tournament in Allen, so I thought I would ask then. Until then, I am waiting to obligate myself!

I take it you are going to be there???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.