The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Lately I have been calling with some partners who feel the need to remind coaches on how to approach and question a call during the plate conference. The line usually goes something like this: "Coaches, if you have a question about a call make sure that you approach the official who made the call in a respectful manner and we will then get together and decide what we both saw."

My question(s) is this: How many of you feel that this should be part of the PC? Should we be coaching coaches on something that they should already know?

To me, this is almost an invite to question us on all of the close calls. I have gotten to the point that when a partner feels compelled to include this as part of his PC, I add in something along the lines of "but don't bother to approach either of us on a question strictly based on our judgement." I then give them a quick demonsration of what is and what is not a judgement situation.

I am just of the mind that this particular topic should not be discussed at the PC, unless it is brought up in a question by one of the coaches. I will be interested to see what you all think.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I also feel it is best if left out but with the multitude of coaches that have little or no experience, especially as a head coach I just say "Should you have any question regarding a call other than judgement, wait until time is called or request time and go to the umpire that made the call and ask your question"

This eliminiates going to the wrong umpire and giving the coach a feeling of getting the "run around" especially if an umpire conference is necesary.

The Bagman
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the level....

College Ball - No way!!
High School - Maybe
ASA - 18U - Maybe
ASA - 16U and down - Will add something like "I place a premium on Sportsmanship, so if you have a question and approach me in a calm sporting manner, then I will happy to answer any of your questions."
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Depends on the level....

College Ball - No way!!
High School - Maybe
ASA - 18U - Maybe
ASA - 16U and down - Will add something like "I place a premium on Sportsmanship, so if you have a question and approach me in a calm sporting manner, then I will happy to answer any of your questions."
I habitually say, "if you have any questions, just talk to us." Most people don't even know I'm saying it.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

The only things I handle at the pre-game conference is the confirmation and exchange of line-ups, the ground rules and the flip of a coin if appropriate.

I NEVER at any level give pre-game warnings, personal preferences on anything, short speeches, instructions or interpretations unless of a specific ground rule or a special tournament rule (if any).

The coach is an adult and should act in that manner throughout the game. If they choose not to act in a sportsmanlike manner, I will take whatever steps are appropriate to keep control of the game and move it along.

Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
I agree with Mike. The less said the better. the coaches are not listening to you any way.

Jay
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool What you expect is what you get.

If you expect them to be arses and feel inclined to tell them to be good ... you've created a controversy that wasn't there. You've insulted them. I wouldn't do it.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Less said, the better (nm)

nm
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Count me in with those who do mention bewhavior expectations at the plate meeting. I check lineup cards, go over ground rules, maybe flip a coin, ask if there are any questions, and tell the home team to take the field.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

For the last four or five years, I have said, "If you have any questions about why we call something the way we did, wait for time to be called before coming out to talk to which ever one of us called it. We will be happy to explain to you why we called what we did."

After reading this thread, I am changing and do not feel I want to mention it. It just doesn't seem proper for me.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Everyone that I have asked why they include this line about coaches behavior in the PC, have all said essentially the same thing. "I have always included it." Doesn't really answer my question, but if it is good enough for them then so be it.

I was taught that the less said the better, so I have always followed that philosophy. It just seems that I am hearing this more and more when I am working various tournaments.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

One of our best JO clinicians here instructs us to always mention that good sportsmanship is expected and that we (the umpires) are always willing to discuss a call or a ruling.

I think his reasoning is that in the JO program we often deal with inexperienced coaches.

I don't see any harm in the mention, and if the coaches really are inexperienced, then there may be some good accomplished. If an experienced coach is offended by the comment, then maybe his skin is too thin to be a coach.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

But do you realize that what we consider experienced isn't the same as the coachs' perception.

To me, experience is that individual who has taken the time and made an effort to learn the game, the rules and the job. There are way too many folks out there which believe one four-base stick and ball game is the same as every other one, or that standing in a dugout for a dozen years qualifies Coach Joe as an expert.

We all know better, though, don't we?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 07:35am
goldcoastump

I agree with IRISHMAFIA, I don't tell them more than they need to know. In Ga.H.S. we are required to talk about sportsmanship at the plate meeting, so thats the only time mention it. If they don't know how to act in the game, then handle it appropriately.