The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Call this weekend. Obstruction at the plate. Signaled obstruction, runner was tagged as a result of obstruction, because of obstruction, runner safe.

What is the correct way to call this so everyone is clear. I didn't call runner out, I signaled obstruction. When all was said and done I called out loud "Obstruction, runner safe, run counts".

Should I have called the runner out because she was tagged and then nullified the out by calling obstruction and then signalling safe because of the obstruction?
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

The order should be:
1)See it
2)Signal it
3)If the player obstructed is tagged out, immediately call time (once the obstructed runner is tagged out, the ball becomes dead)
4)Make the announcement and award: (in the case of the play described) I have obstruction on the catcher, runner is awarded home.

You pretty much had it right except for killing the ball.

Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. I will point and say, "That's obstruction" and give the delayed dead ball arm extended signal. When the runner is played on, I will yell "Time" to kill the play. (Okay, I yell, "Dead Ball" even though I have been taught that "dead ball" is a situation and "Time" is the proper call.)

After I kill the play, then it really depends. I explain my call and award any bases as I need to. In a serious, high school championship type game, I explain with BIG POINTING MOTIONS and very firm, "YOU, AWARD HOME" or whatever. In a Sunday afternoon have fun co-ed league, I might explain by speaking quietly where only the catcher and runner hears me, "Oh, the runner gets home on that. No doubt about that obstruction. You were definitely blocking the base line."

Side note: this reminds me of a 10-U "sorta fast pitch" game that I called. The pitch came in and the batter hit it. It dribbled off the bat and slowly rolled until it hit the batter on the foot. The (cute, adorable) batter had not moved from the batters box. Out of habit, I yell loudly, "DEAD BALL!!!" I scared the little girl and made her cry. I really felt terrible.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

These are the correct mechanics for calling the obstruction at the plate. You never want to call them out at the plate, then call time or dead ball, and now say they are safe and the run counts. You are really going to make the defensive team mad if you first call them out at the plate and then reverse your call. It will also make you look incompetent and unsure of your call.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SC Ump
[B]I agree. I will point and say, "That's obstruction" and give the delayed dead ball arm extended signal. When the runner is played on, I will yell "Time" to kill the play. ]

Speaking ASA, we do not say "That's obstruction"; we do give the delayed dead ball signal. We are told in our clinics to not create a possible deterence to the play, simply to rule on the result. In baseball clinics, we were told to verbalize, hoping to stop play, and simplify potential rulings; not so in ASA.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the last post - you want to avoid talking during the play at all if possible (I can think of only one time I normally say anything other than out or safe during a play - when a runner passes a preceding runner). Give the delayed dead ball. When the runner is played on - TIME! and give the award(s).
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't done ASA in about 7 years... but ASA in '89 was were I learned to verbalize it, "loud enough for the nearest fielder to hear", just like an illegal pitch. It took me 10 years to learn to verbalize it good. I'm sure it would take me another ten to stop. Maybe by then they will change back to doing it again.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I've got the picture. See it, signal it, wait til it's done then "time" then explain ..... quietly or loudly, depending up the circumstances, level and importance of the game.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone can dispute that, from time to time, a differing mechanic has been taught at an ASA clinic. I am quite positive that the official stance of the NUS for as many years as I can recall has been to not verbalize an obstruction. Generally, players will stop play whenever they hear anything from an umpire other than "Safe", and the standard concept is to allow play to continue as naturally as possible. Only then can we truly award "what the result of the play would have been had there been no obstruction". The base coaches should be looking for the signal, and advise the base runners appropriately. We should not cause the runner to change their focus from the coach or their running responsibilities to distraction from our call; then we add to the issue of what might have happened absent the obstruction and absent our distraction.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 01:03pm
goldcoastump

I have been calling ASA since 1982 and no one has ever told me to verbally call obstruction during the play. When the play is over or a play is made on the obstructee you then explain.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2004, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldcoastump
I have been calling ASA since 1982 and no one has ever told me to verbally call obstruction during the play. When the play is over or a play is made on the obstructee you then explain.
o.k.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I have been told both, verbalize and don't verbalize in ASA clinics. I hold the belief to NOT verbalize obstruction, rather signal and enforce after the play. If you verbalize, the players may hear something other than obstruction and cease play. Since this is delayed DB, one or more of the coaches will start yelling "you killed the play blue". Seems to me it's best to signal only, finish play, then sort it out.

ASA POE # 35 does however state the umpire will declare obstruction, and signal delayed dead ball. I am not convinced that is a good idea.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Hey MDBlue,
Are you saying that you would not recommend the "Chucky do-over" mechanics for an obstruction that leads to an out at the plate???

Sorry guys an Indiana inside joke!!
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Um, yes. Do not call her out, then change it and call her safe.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by MDblue
Um, yes. Do not call her out, then change it and call her safe.
Maryland (like me) or Doctor?