The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

trying to find in my ASA book where it says Sharp. In the definitions It says
" a batted ball that goes directly from the bat, not higher then the batters head, to the catcher's hand(s) or glove and is leagally caught by the catcher."

Does direct mean it must be sharp and not have any curvature in flight. I do SP games and sometimes the foul may go nose high and the catcher can catch this clean. Is this a courtesy foul as allowed or a foul tip?
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnhdwe
trying to find in my ASA book where it says Sharp. In the definitions It says
" a batted ball that goes directly from the bat, not higher then the batters head, to the catcher's hand(s) or glove and is leagally caught by the catcher."

Does direct mean it must be sharp and not have any curvature in flight. I do SP games and sometimes the foul may go nose high and the catcher can catch this clean. Is this a courtesy foul as allowed or a foul tip?
Speaking ASA

Courtesy foul? No such animal in any game. The term "sharply" may infer speed and then you will end up with umpires debating how fast the ball got there and that point is irrelevant.

"directly from the bat" to the catcher's glove or hand is just that, the ball is the object moving, not the glove (or hand). Especially in SP, if the catcher needs to move body or glove in a noticeable fashion to catch the ball, that is not a foul tip as the glove/hand went to the ball, not the other way around.

Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks mike,
In our Rec leagues players are allowed one foul after two strikes. Thus a foul tip would be strike three but a foul ball and the batter is still up.