The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Question

Played in a Co-Ed tournament on Sat. with several odd calls made that I never would have thought that I would see and never thought to ask about. And I'm not talking about it being strike/ball or out/safe. But one CLEARLY stands out.

A particular game that I pitched in, the team that we were playing had exactly 5 women and 5 men. A woman swung on her first pitch and pop fouled it just beyond the 3rd base line with no catch made. In the process, she was running to first and injurs her ankle and cannot continue her at-bat. According to the ASA rulebook, can she:

A) Be substituted by any female regardless of team?
(to keep it m/f/m/f)
B) Be substituted by any male regardless of team?
(allowing 3 males in a row)
C) Have the rest of her bat skipped? (w/ no out charged)
D) ____________________________________

Again, no rulebook to look at just questionable ump's call to go by.

Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Not being the ASA person on this board, but apparently the only one up early on a Sunday morning, I will tell you my understanding: if the batter could not complete her turn and there were no legal (i.e. same gender) substitutes available, then she would be ruled out.

Being that some of your other answers mentioned a batter "regardless of team", I can only presume this is a social/fun league where your local league might have special local rules.

(I know, I know, "Who says they all aren't social/fun leagues?")
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Not being the ASA person on this board, but apparently the only one up early on a Sunday morning, I will tell you my understanding: if the batter could not complete her turn and there were no legal (i.e. same gender) substitutes available, then she would be ruled out.

Being that some of your other answers mentioned a batter "regardless of team", I can only presume this is a social/fun league where your local league might have special local rules.

(I know, I know, "Who says they all aren't social/fun leagues?")
Dan,

Agree. You're the only one up early enough

If there are no substitutes of the proper gender available, the batter is out. This falls under the shorthanded rule, so she is done for that game since it doesn't involve the blood rule.

Each time this player was scheduled to bat, an out will be declared. If another rostered female arrives, she must enter the game immediately.