The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

The following is an e-mail from Debbi Lauderback I thought I would share with you. For those of you who don't know Debbi, she is a SoCal umpire working the Olympics.

Hi Gang,

This may be my last update before leaving. There are two computers for us and folks waiting.

Wow, what a great past few days it has been. The weather has been VERY HUMID HERE. On my 3rd or 4th game of the tournament I injured my calf muscle quite badly and had to come out of a game about the 6th inning. I rested all that next day, and lost a plate game (Australia vs Italy). Marty Makar worked it for me and she did me proud, calling a game in 1 hr and 35 minutes (5 inn, run rule .... adda girl).

I had access to physiotherapy 4 times a day on those two days rest and then on the 7PM game on the 2nd day I worked 1st base and was back on track. What a blessing it was to have the volunteer physical therapists helping me .... what a motivator too. I was not going to sit out the Olympic games for a pulled calf muscle. Not happening!! Marty introduced me to the MP3 technology. She has an I-Pod, which is a Mac product. Very cool. I worked out and jogged in the mornings and stretched out with my exercises before the games, listening to John Mayer and some Aretha Franklin tunes. What a combination but hey, whatever it takes to get "into the zone."

The volunteers helping us at the field really bust their butt for us. They tell us that the umpire detail is the "best one" because we are all so nice. We are a bunch of blue collar people too essentially and are real to them, and yet they understand we are working and have jobs to do. The volunteers all love our pins and shirts we have given them. They are truly appreciating everything and we appreciate them very much, for without all of them the days would not be as special.

Saturday was our "day off" here and so, we as a crew went on the tram and the subway into downtown Athens. We visited a huge marketplace called, the Plakca (my spelling is not correct probably). The Plaka is a series of very, very narrow streets with shops, restaurants, discount kiosk carts, and taverns crowded next to each other. But get this, at the center of it all is a large hillside with the Acropolis ruins on top. These ruins are from 600-400 B.C. and what an awesome sight. Neville Lawrance and I (the Aussie ump) stayed until the nighttime to see it all lit up. This was a beautiful sight and I'm glad I roughed it and made the extra trek twice to see this at night.

Gosh did I have a great time working my plate game yesterday. Japan vs China. There was some good hitting and fielding. But also in the atmosphere of the field was that of giving a last-ditch effort from both teams because they knew that only one would continue to play in the Bronze medal round. What a match up and we had an all-woman crew. There are 6 men and 6 women on the umpire crew and this was a really nice experience for us all.

This was the kind of game that we as umpires are most fortunate to experience and I am so blessed for the moment. I had batter interference on a pop up near the plate area. Then two tag-play bangers at the plate, with the last one to end the game.

Merle Butler the UIC told us before the tournament even started that anyone working the plate that went extra innings earned a very prestigious award. This is a bright yellow button that reads, "I VIOLATED RULE 5." Which is the international tie breaker rule and such for ISF code. Well, my fellow umpires were very pleased when I earned this prestigious award (the only woman umpire to have done it this Olympics). They were so happy for me .... ha! Happy my butt, this meant that I had to buy them a round of adult beverages so this is their joy and sadly, my Euro (the currency here). :-)

Well, today is the Gold Medal game and we all have slept in and are doing laundry and catching up on the computer email, etc. This will be USA vs Australia. Typically, the umpires are not assigned for their own country. However, Merle decided to split the difference so Neville will work the LF line and I will work the RF line. The plate umpire is a very good umpire from Puerto Rico, Santos Vasquez. Working 1B is Wayne Saunders of N. Zealand. 2B is Vincent Mosang of So Africa. Working 3B is Kelly Hunter, and she is from Canada.

I will stay here through 27 August. My 40th birthday is on 25 August and it will be such a nice moment to spend it here with some umpire friends and some of the newer Greek friends I have made. I miss my family very much and cannot wait to see them at the end of the month. I appreciate the opportunity to email everyone through the email-forwarding system you all have been doing for me. Thank you!

Very blessed and sublime at the moment,
Debbi
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Smile Real life Olympic story

Thanks for sharing, Mike.
mick
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I truly enjoyed this "touch of Athens". Thanks.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Thanks so much for posting this, Mike. I have been very curious as to who the Olympic Umpires were, but have been unable to find any information on them. Really enjoyed the comments on the game and the Athens area.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pollywolly60
Thanks so much for posting this, Mike. I have been very curious as to who the Olympic Umpires were, but have been unable to find any information on them. Really enjoyed the comments on the game and the Athens area.
Here is a link to the press release from last October naming the umpire staff for the Olympics.

http://www.internationalsoftball.com.../30_oct03.html

Marty, who was mentioned in Debbie's email, is a collegue of mine from here in Phoenix. Marty worked the plate for the bronze medal game yesterday. I'm really looking forward to talking to her when she returns.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Just to add to Andys post..Marty is an awesome umpire (obviously) and a really great person...... great email
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Mike, thanks for sharing as this gives us a "Flavor" that others would not understand or appreciate.

The Bagman
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Mike,

Thanks for posting the email from Debbi. I was fortune enough to watch her as PU on the Japan/China game, and she looked awesome!
The gentleman she mentioned as the PU on the Gold game was excellent also.
Too bad I don't have MSNBC on my cable so I could have taped more games.
Andy, when Marty returns, ask her if she will share his experiences at the Olympics with us here on this board.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Thanks, Andy! That's just the site I've been looking for.