The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a national last week (great ball, great location, would love to go back again) and had this situation.

Runners on 1st and 2nd. No outs. Infield playing "in" for them, which means F4 and F6 are about 2 feet behind baseline. BR hits pop-up that F4 is virtually camped out under it at the EDGE OF THE GRASS (about 15 feet back from baseline). Somehow, (I'll call it the sun, a bird dropping, etc) she misplayed the ball and the ball hits her glove and land on the grass.

Runners all advanced safely.

When I was sure that F4 had a relative "can of corn" I called Infield Fly. Once everyone got done screaming etc (large crowds) I informed BR that she was out for IF.

Coach came back with these classic lines:

But she dropped the ball---SORRY COACH, DOESN'T MATTER
But the ball hit the grass---SORRY COACH, DOESN't MATTER

Coach asked for an explanation. I give him...In my opinion F4 was, under normal effort, in position to catch the ball. She just dropped it. You yourself said the ball hit her glove.

Coach come back with "so if she's diving after it, and it hits the glove, then it's still an infield fly?" COACH STOP TRYING TO TWIST MY WORDS...She just dropped it, plain and simple.

"But you said it was because it hit her glove that you called infield fly."

NO COACH I DIDN'T. YOU SAID I SAID THAT. I SAID THAT SHE WAS UNDER THE BALL, WITH NORMAL EFFORT, AND JUST DROPPED IT.
YES IT HIT HER GLOVE...NO I DIDN'T CALL INFIELD FLY BECAUSE IT HIT HER GLOVE.

We continue playing...next two girls KO on 6 straight swings (only two of which would have actually been strikes).

First base coach thanks me for killing his rally (he's down 6-0 after first inning).

My question to you all:

1). Would you have launched coach for his comment? (I didn't).

2. How do we get it through the coaches heads that we are the only ones who can judge Infield Fly? They don't call it, I do! Further, how do NATIONAL LEVEL coaches, and this was late on Saturday night, get this far without knowing the rule?

[Edited by FUBLUE on Aug 9th, 2004 at 04:40 PM]
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 03:58pm
Ref Ump Welsch

My answers:

1) I would have launched him out of there when he started twisting my words.

2) Coaches know everything (NOT!), so they are clueless no matter how far they get in a tournament.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Worked a national last week (great ball, great location, would love to go back again) and had this situation.

Runners on 1st and 2nd. No outs. Infield playing "in" for them, which means F4 and F6 are about 2 feet behind baseline. BR hits pop-up that F4 is virtually camped out under it at the EDGE OF THE GRASS (about 15 feet back from baseline). Somehow, (I'll call it the sun, a bird dropping, etc) she misplayed the ball and the ball hits her glove and land on the grass.

Runners all advanced safely.

When I was sure that F4 had a relative "can of corn" I called Infield Fly. Once everyone got done screaming etc (large crowds) I informed BR that she was out for IF.

Coach came back with these classic lines:

But she dropped the ball---SORRY COACH, DOESN'T MATTER
But the ball hit the grass---SORRY COACH, DOESN't MATTER

Coach asked for an explanation. I give him...In my opinion F4 was, under normal effort, in position to catch the ball. She just dropped it. You yourself said the ball hit her glove.

Coach come back with "so if she's diving after it, and it hits the glove, then it's still an infield fly?" COACH STOP TRYING TO TWIST MY WORDS...She just dropped it, plain and simple.

"But you said it was because it hit her glove that you called infield fly."

NO COACH I DIDN'T. YOU SAID I SAID THAT. I SAID THAT SHE WAS UNDER THE BALL, WITH NORMAL EFFORT, AND JUST DROPPED IT.
YES IT HIT HER GLOVE...NO I DIDN'T CALL INFIELD FLY BECAUSE IT HIT HER GLOVE.

We continue playing...next two girls KO on 6 straight swings (only two of which would have actually been strikes).

First base coach thanks me for killing his rally (he's down 6-0 after first inning).

My question to you all:

1). Would you have launched coach for his comment? (I didn't).

2. How do we get it through the coaches heads that we are the only ones who can judge Infield Fly? They don't call it, I do! Further, how do NATIONAL LEVEL coaches, and this was late on Saturday night, get this far without knowing the rule?

[Edited by FUBLUE on Aug 9th, 2004 at 04:40 PM]
FUBLUE,

For #1. My response to the coach would be "Coach, that's enough, knock it off. Infield fly is a judgment call, if you continue arguing judgment calls I will take further action"

For #2. I have too many other responsibilities while on the field to care about what is going on in a coaches head. As far as the coach being at the Nationals....stranger things have happened and I'd bet money that other coaches are there that are clueless about many of the rules.

Michael
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

I guess in answer to the tossing question to me it would be a HTBT situation. I am sure that there are alot of people here who will say toss him no doubt, but to me it all depends on his attitude. Was it a small comment under his breath, or a loud where everyone could hear it type of thing? Did he say "thanks for killing our rally" or "thanks for killing our rally, blue" if he said blue then you know it was directed toward you and would be weighed heavier in my mind, the other could have been to the girl that just struck out (ya right but you don't know for sure). I would say that I would take all these things into consideration, along with the judgement of whether this was a one time reaction/venting type of comment and now he is done, or was it the start of more butt riding??

And in answer to your second question, it is amazing what they don't know, let's see if you fail to report a sub and the defense catches it (after a pitch to her) the unreported sub is DQ'ed. "No, I can report her anytime while she is still at the plate." That you have to report when your DP enters on defense (ASA). And of course you have to call time before entering the playing field to agrue a safe call. (he got tossed for that one!) thank the good lord I was not on the diamond for that game!!!!!! These are just a few from the 18U at Midwest that you missed.