The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I'm looking to buy a pair of shoes. Is it really advantageous to buy "plate shoes" rather than combination shoes where the instep flap is removeable? Also, seeing that my foot is on the wide side, anyone got suggestions on the shoe that will work/fit/feel the best?

Thanks
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I certainly don't have fat feet....they are big boned!

Dr Scholls with gel insert have become my new field shoes. I also wear them as PU for younger age FP. I wear +POS plate shoes for higher level FP, and BB. You do want to protect your toes, lotsa guys use steel toed shoes, but the top part of foot can get hurt badly by a foul ball. If you are gonna do tournies, two pair of whatever you choose works nice.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

SPOT-BUILTS have always had a good name. I will tell you I do not wear steel toe or top type & have taken many a good shot on the toe. So if you are doing some good ball do your toes a favor and get protection.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
SPOT-BUILTS have always had a good name.
I bought a pair of Spot Built plate shoes a couple of years ago and had to send them back - way too narrow and they didn't come in a "wide" size.

Honig's makes wide plate shoes.

I don't like using plate shoes on the bases - too heavy. I haven't tried "combo" shoes, but even with the instep plate removed, you still have the steel (or whatever) toe & so have a heavier shoe than a good pair of base shoes.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

tOM,

I HAVE A PAIR YOU CAN HAVE ALSO.

What size shirt you wear?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Fat Feet United!

I wear a 13 EEEEE in sneakers so finding shoes that truly fit is nearly impossible. But...

I have two pair of plate shoe from Honigs and they fit great. I'm even hanging on to the older pair a little longer (sole is starting to separate) because they feel so good.

This spring I bought the second pair...called Honigs and talked to Mr. Honig (one of them) himself. He sent me 3 pairs of plate shoes to try (indoors, no dirt or scuffing of course) and let me send the two I didn't want back. Only charged me AFTER I returned the shoes. What a great company.

I wear sneakers on the bases, New Balance 609. They hold a shine pretty good, and work well EXCEPT in really wet conditions.

ALWAYS wear protective shoes behind the plate.

My "little brother" wears an 18 EEEE in work shoes and has had good luck with a couple of companies. They have some black "low top" work shoes that look pretty good...don't look like a true work boot. I can't remember the name, but I'll ask him. I do know that they were a couple of hundred dollars in my size.

[Edited by FUBLUE on Jul 25th, 2004 at 09:09 PM]
Old Tue Jul 27, 2004, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

fublue..I would definitely LOVE to have that info on the shoes your brother wears..I wear a size 17 and cannot find anything suitable to wear behind the plate. I can be contacted at [email protected]
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
fublue..I would definitely LOVE to have that info on the shoes your brother wears..I wear a size 17 and cannot find anything suitable to wear behind the plate. I can be contacted at [email protected]
You have a "firm" understanding in life...I've contacted "junior" and he's trying to find the catalog and will send it my way. I'll let you know when I find out.