The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

"Women do the darndest things."

Women’s SP, one umpire, bases loaded, one out, ground ball to pitcher. I move away from plate up 3B line for force play at home and possible relay to 1B. Got the force at home, but no relay. Two outs.

Single, two runs score, runners at 1B and 2B. Ground ball to pitcher; I move out towards pitcher to get the good angle on the throw to 1B. But the throw is going home, right through my head! I duck and spin around to see the force play at home – but there is no runner in sight! The pitcher is laughing (at herself, I assume) while I remark something about “not being able to trust her behind my back.”

WMB
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Well, kids do the dardest things, too. Which is why (1 man mechanics) I do not go into the infield with a runner on 2nd. I move up the third base line for the angle on the play at first (same as you did with the runner on 3rd). This also keeps me out of the way of any possible 2nd play on the lead runner.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
We can not restrict that kind of guessing game to either gender or age.

As far as mechanics, the first priority is to watch the ball and the second is to be out of any line from the ball to a base. And I mean way out, half way between lines of sight given some players' throwing ability. Move depending on the runners and where the ball is hit. A ball to the left side with runners on 1st and 2nd could well become a play at 3rd, but not likely on a ball to the right side.