The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Coed slowpitch..throw from F6 is high. F3 leaps/catches/lands on orange side and his momentum carries him into foul territory. Then B1 reaches base as F3 is still standing in foul territory. I ruled B1 safe & explained why. F3 then gives me a few "F" words & I showed him the bench. As I return to home plate..his equipment bag comes flying over the safety bench & I show him the parking lot. I got this right didn't I ?????
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

NO,

Should have shown him the parking lot first.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

"I got this right didn't I ?????"

The play, no. The tossing, I agree with whiskers_ump, the F-bomb is just not acceptable.

"throw from F6 is high. F3 leaps/catches/lands on orange side and his momentum carries him into foul territory."

ASA Rule 8 Section 2 M 3 - Says the batter runner should have been out.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure about this. I know the rule states if an errant throw draws the fielder into foul territory, or if the throw is coming from foul territory the fielder can use the orange portion of the bag to get an out. However, in your case I could see it going either way, I think I would agree with your ruling that the runner was safe as the throw didn't take him foul, his jump did! When I see the intent of this rule I see it as an over throw that bounces off the fence and F3 is coming back to the bag, not a throw that is close to the bag that a regular jump/stretch (or pull off the bag) could have controlled. Maybe I am wrong but I probably would have ruled as you did.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Dave, that is exactly the trouble I have with the rule. If F3 would had gone into the grass (foul) then came back to the orange part..That would be OK, but since that was not the case I feel I have no choice but to rule "safe"
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dave, I look at an errant throw similar to a wild pitch, the throw has got to go past the fielder. Just as a catcher catches the pitch there is no wild pitch , the fielder catches the throw I will not let the defense use the safety (orange) base for the put out. Unless the throw is from the foul territory on the 1B side.

The Bagman
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

The intent of the rule is to avoid collisions and injury. If you allow F3 to use the orange bag for a put out on a throw from third you have given the defense an advantage.
Would we be talking about this if the orange bag wasn't there and S/he came down in foul territory a foot off the bag?
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I've got the runner safe and would have given a big "off the bag" point. I'm not explaining that to a player - I'll deal with the captain or the coach. That somewhat protects F3 from losing it & getting tossed for the F-bomb. I'd then explain to the captain or coach that the throw came from F6, so F3 must use the white bag. Since F3 used the orange bag, I've got F3 as "off the bag".

Addition - At the first F-bomb, Chuck, he'd have been gone from sight & sound.

[Edited by Steve M on Jul 16th, 2004 at 11:37 AM]
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

This was brought up at the national school last December. According to henry Pollard: The defensive player cannot jump, catch the ball, and come down on the orange base for an out. The defensive player has to separate from the orange safety base, and then touch for the out. The question as raised: How far does he/she have to separate from the base? His answer was "The player has to separate from the base" leaving me with the impression that separation could be an inch or a foot, just as long as they separate.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
This was brought up at the national school last December. According to henry Pollard: The defensive player cannot jump, catch the ball, and come down on the orange base for an out. The defensive player has to separate from the orange safety base, and then touch for the out. The question as raised: How far does he/she have to separate from the base? His answer was "The player has to separate from the base" leaving me with the impression that separation could be an inch or a foot, just as long as they separate.
I've been telling y'all what Henry said for two years now. An errant throw is a throw which cannot be caught. If the defender can catch the ball within range of the base, that is not an errant throw.

The call was correct, but your ejection scenario is the reason that I tell umpires to NEVER let a player stick around if you dumped them for USC. You are just asking for trouble later on.

I don't get picky with the sight and sound thing, I just tell the manager, "Coach, I told you he was gone. If I can see him or hear him, that means he is here and here is not gone."

If I do notice an ejected player watching the game from somewhere else, I don't care as long as he just sits there and keeps his mouth shut and that includes talking to his own players in the field.

Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Re: words for the ages

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
"If I can see him or hear him, that means he is here and here is not gone."

More profound words for the ages,
even if a little Yogi-ish.
Oh I forgot, an Elite UIC would have to be Casey-ish.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Yes, to me you got it right, but you should have tossed F3 out of the game as soon as the first "F Bomb" came out.

I like Mike's saying "If I can see him or hear him, that means he is here and here is not gone."

If there is a time limit to the game his is hold up play for his teammates. That is if they are behind. Ha ha