The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Question

I am asking this question to see what you guys might say.

BR hits a ball to F6, BR running down the line, F6 throws the ball to F3. Now down here we have the doublebase at first. My question is now. Does the BR have to use the orange bag or can he use the white one instead. It is going to be a bang bang play at first. Now what do you call it.

1. BR touch white bag, F3 catch ball - out or safe

2. BR touch orange bag, F3 catch ball - safe

I just wanted to know what you guys think of this play.

Guys, I had already had the runner out, cause of F6 had an cannon of a arm.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
buddha,

It depends on which rules body you're talking about. I think ASA treats it like a missed base that must be appealed, whereas Dixie treats it as an immediarw out.

SamC
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA,

in this scenario...BR touches the WHITE base, F3 catches the ball, while on the white base...

Is the call safe and then, out, only if it is appealed before BR gets back to the bag?

Thanks,
Tchaap
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Speaking ASA

Quote:
Does the BR have to use the orange bag or can he use the white one instead. It is going to be a bang bang play at first. Now what do you call it.

Safe, but subject to a live ball appeal (missed base) ONLY and it must be made prior to the runner returning to the white portion of the bag
Quote:

This one is obvious
Quote:

Well, I certainly hope that F6's cannon got the ball to F3 prior to the BR reaching 1B. If not, I would love to be there when you tell the coach, "That's right, Coach. The SS has a cannon, so your runner has gotta be out."

Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[B]Speaking ASA

Quote:
Does the BR have to use the orange bag or can he use the white one instead. It is going to be a bang bang play at first. Now what do you call it.

Quote:
Safe, but subject to a live ball appeal (missed base) ONLY and it must be made prior to the runner returning to the white portion of the bag
Okay here, BR touch white bag before the catch. He just turned his body towards second only to run back to first.

Quote:

This one is obvious

Quote:
Course this is obivous. Had to throw that in.

Quote:
Well, I certainly hope that F6's cannon got the ball to F3 prior to the BR reaching 1B. If not, I would love to be there when you tell the coach, "That's right, Coach. The SS has a cannon, so your runner has gotta be out."

Your Funny Mike. I was just saying that the throw beat the BR before he step on the white portion of the bag.

And Sorry once again if I did not clarify if. ASA only.

[Edited by buddha69 on Jul 14th, 2004 at 11:01 AM]
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

As far as I'm concerned, safe and BR has made an attempt to go to 2B, so may be tagged out. When I have explained it this way to coaches, you can watch the light go on - at least, for some of them.

Safe
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting explanation to the coaches, Steve. Unfortunately, the rules aren't written that way. They do NOT have to tag him, and he has NOT made an attempt for 2nd base. What an odd theory. F3 simply has to say appeal while still on the base before BR returns to 1st, and he's out (which is obviously NOT the case if he's trying for 2nd).
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting explanation to the coaches, Steve. Unfortunately, the rules aren't written that way. They do NOT have to tag him, and he has NOT made an attempt for 2nd base. What an odd theory. F3 simply has to say appeal while still on the base before BR returns to 1st, and he's out (which is obviously NOT the case if he's trying for 2nd).

You're right. But I can't seem to get the coaches to understand that.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
F3 simply has to say appeal while still on the base before BR returns to 1st, and he's out
Which is true as long as time has not been called. Remember, that is the routine in SP game.

Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
F3 simply has to say appeal while still on the base before BR returns to 1st, and he's out
Which is true as long as time has not been called. Remember, that is the routine in SP game.

Does F3 have to tag the base or the BR?

you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Does F3 have to tag the base or the BR?

you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Either would do, though if tagging the runner, it is obvious an appeal is being made. Just tagging the bag isn't going to mean diddly (and I ain't talkin' Bo) unless the defender verbalizes something that resembles a request for an appeal.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

yes it seems obvious that an appeal is being made, but not which one. Could be for trying to advance to second as well!
Does that matter to you or not? Is there a verbalization needed to identify which appeal is being made?

Besides that, I full agree with your rulings.

Raoul
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3
Mike,

yes it seems obvious that an appeal is being made, but not which one. Could be for trying to advance to second as well!
Does that matter to you or not? Is there a verbalization needed to identify which appeal is being made?

Besides that, I full agree with your rulings.

Raoul
Tagging a runner the defense believes to have attempted to advance to 2B is not an appeal. It is simply tagging a player they believe to be in jeopardy.

You'll know that it is an appeal because F3 is not going to do it without direction from a teammate or coach.

Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

But in 8.7.H and EFFECT Section 7 F-I ist said to be an appeal.
I agree that if the bench screams to the fielder what to do and why, that I would not need any additional info.
But since the rules call for an appeal on the advancing a tag and "Appeal!" would not be enough.

Or why is it in the rules like that? I guess it is also a question of how far the try to advance went and how visible/obvious it was.

Raoul
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3
But in 8.7.H and EFFECT Section 7 F-I ist said to be an appeal.
I agree that if the bench screams to the fielder what to do and why, that I would not need any additional info.
But since the rules call for an appeal on the advancing a tag and "Appeal!" would not be enough.

Or why is it in the rules like that? I guess it is also a question of how far the try to advance went and how visible/obvious it was.

Raoul
One of the few times I disagree with the book, or actually the wording.

A runner being appealed for missing a base at first and not attempting to advance must be a live ball appeal and may be made by tagging the offending player or the base requesting the appeal.

A runner having turned and possibly continuing to 2B is in jeopardy of being tagged out simply for not being in touch with a base, and not necessarily for missing the base. A runner who misses the base and is legally returning to 1B can ONLY be retired through an appeal.