The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Question for the board. I think this was asked in the past, but how do you handle having a lazy partner?

Last night I was doing men's fastpitch for the first time. Even though I've done 18-U and some women's fp, the speed of the game is vastly different. My partner has been in the business for about 18 years, even though this is the first time we've umped together.
I'm the FU. R1 on 1B. Ball hit to the outfield. R1 tries to make it to third, only to get caught in a rundown. I look to see where my partner is, and he is still standing behind homeplate watching the play. After about 4 tosses, the guy is tagged out. BR is now on second. On the next pitch, the hit and run is on. Ball is hit to F6 who tosses the ball to F5. Again we have a run down. I look for my partner and he's still standing behind homeplate watching the action. After 5 tosses, the runner is tagged out again. End of inning. I go to talk to my partner and he's talking with some of the guys on 1st base dugout. I heard something to the effect of "the rookie's gotta pay his dues" and laughs. I'm steaming at this point. I wanted to talk to him to find out why he didn't back me up. However, after that comment, I thought it was better if I didn't say anything at all. Rest of that game and the next went off ok.

My question is, how would you have handled it? Should I have talked with him on the field? After the last game he got his money and left so I didn't get a chance to talk to him after the last game. I plan on talking to my assignor and ask to not be partnered with him again. Is that a fair request?

Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

You probably should have confronted him then and there, however, without being confrontational. Just mention that in a rundown, mechanics require that both umpires bracket the play, one on the inside of the diamond at one end of the play, and the other on the outside of the diamond at the other end of the play. Let this partner know that you are aware of mechanics and procedure on the field.

You may also want to mention to the president of the umpire association, as well as to the assignor, that apparently this veteran was far more interested in seeing you "pay your dues" than actually working the games(at least properly) that he was being paid for.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'll agree with Scott. Paying dues is one thing, leaving a partner out to dry like this is something else.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
That is not "paying your dues!" That is leaving a partner out hanging out in the wind. That is not doing your job. That is showing disrespect for the game and the players and you. That is showing someone who cares only for the monyey he GOT . He didn't earn it, he got it. That is showing someone who is lazy. That is showing someone who DOES NOT BELONG ON A FIELD IN A BLUE SHIRT!

A good umpire should work harder with someone who he hasn't worked with before, until both of you are comfortable with each other's mechanics. Then, you can start to anticipate someone being in the right spot. There are a few guys down here who are like your partner. They have very few folks who'll call with them anymoe. Most of the ones who will, are new folks.

I would have called time as soon as the first rundown ended and ask him if he was OK, remember, you're supposed to take 1/2 of the rundown. The 2nd time, I'd have been a little more forceful in my discussion of the mechanics. After the game, I'd find my UIC and tell him to never put me on the field again with this clown. I'll pay my dues, but I'm not gonna hurt the reputation of myself, my partner or my umpire's group by putting up with something like that.

I hope I don't sound like I'm straddling the fence on this, but lazy umpires don't belong on the field.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Update:

I just spoke with my assignor and UIC. I was told that the commissioner of the men's league was watching last night when all this went down. He was very upset at what he saw (being a former umpire). He called both the assignor and UIC first thing this morning, explained what he saw and asked them to not assign him anymore men's games this year. Evidently this isn't the first time this has happened.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

The moral of this story.............. ALWAYS work as hard as you can because you NEVER know who is watching.

Some of the breaks we have received have come from the strangest of places just because we took it seriously and worked hard.

Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

TexBlue,

I agree with you, I felt like I was hangin in the wind. It's not like I've never officated a softball game before, I've been doing this for 10 years. In that time, I had one other partner who was like that and he's not around anymore. I take this seriously cause it's something I love to do. I may not know everything, but I do know my mechanics, I hustle (as I would hate to be called a lazy umpire), and I would never leave my partner hangin (unless I had a brainfart or something) I loved the men's game last night and plan on doing more.

Thanks for all of your responses.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
The moral of this story.............. ALWAYS work as hard as you can because you NEVER know who is watching.

Some of the breaks we have received have come from the strangest of places just because we took it seriously and worked hard.

I understand what you are saying Kellers, but I tend to argue that an umpire should always work as hard as they can regardless of who may be watching.

After all, this is what we are paid to do!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.