The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

No outs, R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, you are BU in "C."

R2 stealing on the pitch; F2 throws to F4 inside 2B, R1 is holding about 5' off 3B. R2 stops and returns towards 1B. R1 still holding, so F4 throws to F3; R2 starts back and now we have a run-down developing.

1 - PU has to maintain position for a possible play at home so he cannot come down the line to take the 1B end of the play. Should PU move to 1st base side, maybe 15' up line? From that position should he make a tag call, or just observe to backup the BU?

2 - Should you, the BU, move to the 2B end of the play? Or move more to the center to make a call at either end of the play. If BU moves to center, is he possibly in the way of a throw should R1 break for home?

WMB
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
No outs, R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, you are BU in "C."

R2 stealing on the pitch; F2 throws to F4 inside 2B, R1 is holding about 5' off 3B. R2 stops and returns towards 1B. R1 still holding, so F4 throws to F3; R2 starts back and now we have a run-down developing.

1 - PU has to maintain position for a possible play at home so he cannot come down the line to take the 1B end of the play. Should PU move to 1st base side, maybe 15' up line? From that position should he make a tag call, or just observe to backup the BU?

If you have a ball get away on the 1B end, the PU will be useless on a call at the plate and possibly in the way of the throw.

Quote:
2 - Should you, the BU, move to the 2B end of the play? Or move more to the center to make a call at either end of the play. If BU moves to center, is he possibly in the way of a throw should R1 break for home?
I would probably go with the latter. Center, but moving with the runner. If you stay with the runner, any throw home should, SHOULD come from behind the runner and not from the area to which the runner AND YOU are moving.

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike. As PU, I'll be on 1B line extended. Maybe I can help, but the runner at 3B is my priority.

And, as BU, I'm staying with the runner, but watching the ball. If I'm watching the ball, I'm not getting nailed with it.