The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Where can I find a chart with a comparison between ASA, NSA, USSSA, USFA, and whatever else there might be. Played strictly USSSA 10U girls fastpitch this year and what to know about the other bodies for next year.

Thanks for any help.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

On the site Cactusumpires.com there is a link to a guy that has compiled a list of differences between ASA, NF, and NCAA. Not sure about USSSA, NSA or anything else.

The cost is something like $10.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I'd suggest talking to some of your local umpires. A lot of us keep comparisons and differences between the associations we call for. Best thing to do is download the rules off the web sites and just learn them, before you go to that association's tournaments. Of course, ASA doesn't have theirs listed on the web site, for some reason.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Of course, ASA doesn't have theirs listed on the web site, for some reason.
$
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

NFHS not line either.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
NFHS not line either.
Thank you, Glen. You beat me to it.

Isn't it amazing how some folks believe that this isn't a business and there seems to be a feeling of entitlement by so many people? And if they don't get exactly what they want for nothing, the organization in question must be crooked, cheap, bad, greedy, etc.

Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
On the site Cactusumpires.com there is a link to a guy that has compiled a list of differences between ASA, NF, and NCAA. Not sure about USSSA, NSA or anything else.

The cost is something like $10.

The gentleman's name is John Bennett. This is his fifth
version. A must for umpires calling NCAA, ASA, and NFHS.
unfortunately, I have lost his address, but I am sure Steve
M. will see this post and he has it.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
NFHS not line either.

Isn't it amazing how some folks believe that this isn't a business and there seems to be a feeling of entitlement by so many people? And if they don't get exactly what they want for nothing, the organization in question must be crooked, cheap, bad, greedy, etc.

Wow, you yelled the other day and now you got rabbit ears. That wasn't a criticism just a statement of fact. But, now that you brought it up, considering how many thousands of teams are registered, you'd think you could afford a coupla hundred dollars to put a page in for rules, since they're playing by them. Just a thought. You gotta admit, the ASA rule books are hard to come by.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
NFHS not line either.

Wow, you yelled the other day and now you got rabbit ears. That wasn't a criticism just a statement of fact. But, now that you brought it up, considering how many thousands of teams are registered, you'd think you could afford a coupla hundred dollars to put a page in for rules, since they're playing by them. Just a thought. You gotta admit, the ASA rule books are hard to come by.
That was not a criticism directed at anyone in particular. I hear it on many different boards. BTW, registered teams DO receive a rule book and they get one with the code included, not the umpire's edition.

As I have noted numerous times in the past, ASA sells advertising in their book. Like I said, like it or not, this is a business and money is made. You don't think the Hall of Fame and the stadium complex in OKC is paid for by admission, do you? Like all other businesses, there are expenses and prices do not routinely go down.

I have had discussions with the computer guru of the NUS suggesting that the rules be included in a restricted site for registered umpires. However, I doubt that went over very big as that would be just one more site to monitor. But at least it was discussed.

You also get a copy of the rules when you purchase the Umpire Mechanics CD.

The rules are not that hard to come by, but they are not free.

Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

John Bennett's address is

[email protected]

It's a comparison of the rules differences among ASA, Fed, and NCAA. It's pretty well done and has come in very handy for me. John no longer provides an electronic version, but I scan mine in when I get it each year.

ASA put their book on their mechanics cd, but they buried it. It's a WORD document, but not anywhere near as usable as it should be. I'll have to spend some time on it and pull the WORD doc out of the application they put it in, then it will be usable.

There's a site that will provide "last year's" Fed book in electronic form, along with a number of questions & rulings. I haven't bought into that as I'm not willing to buy an old book.