The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I asked this question in the midst of another thread... but it didn't get noticed or answered. Can someone explain the issues with the use of a first baseman's glove? And why is this a concern in ASA rules?

Previously:
ASA
This is obviously an ASA issue (NFHS doesn't care - size is the only requirement and it is applicable to the gloves of all players except the catcher).

NFHS Penalty for an illegal glove is the same as being quoted here.

What truly is the difference between a 1st baseman's glove and all the others? Does a 1st baseman's glove exceed the size limits of NFHS? In which case it would be illegal for any position, including 1st base. Why is this differentiation important to ASA?

Incidentally, I allowed a pitcher to use a 1st baseman's glove a couple of weeks ago during our High School State Tournament. I didn't get out a tape measure to ensure the glove wasn't too big... but did I mess up?

Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

As to why ASA cares and NFHS doesn't - beats me.

Quote:
Baseball & Softball Glove Buyer's Guide
The main difference between gloves and mitts is that gloves have fingers and mitts don't. Mitts tend to do a better job of controlling balls that don't hit in the pocket and can aid scooping ground balls and short hops.

Most first base mitts are designed for baseball use and are 12 to 12 1/2 inches. First base mitts have a thin but stiff pad that runs around the circumference of the mitt with little or no padding in the palm or finger area. Larger baseball first base mitts can be effectively used by softball players. Some manufactures will make softball specific first base mitts. These are usually 13 inches or larger and are not very common. Most softball first basemen use a 13 to 14 inch softball outfield glove at first base.

Baseball catcher's mitts are usually have a very thick pad around the circumference of the mitt and thick padding in the palm and finger area and a small pocket. Softball catcher's mitts are similar to baseball catcher's mitts except they have less padding and a much larger pocket.
Did you mess up? Not unless the mitt was too big!
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
As to why ASA cares and NFHS doesn't - beats me.
Federation is more into participation than the other organizations. Remember, Fed ball is an extracuricular activity for students, not a travel ball team searching to be seen by scouts.