The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

THIS IS FOR GIRLS FAST PITCH NSA @ 16U.

Runner on 3rd base. There is a walk. The ball is returned to the circle and the pitcher makes NO move to throw the ball. The runner on 3rd stays off the bag and is called out before the walked runner reaches 1st base. Can the runer on 3rd be called out prior to the walked baserunner reaching 1st base?

This is what the rule book says.... RULE:When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch, or as a result of abatter completing a turn at bat, with the batter/runner being out or reaching first base, and while the pitcher has the ball within the sixteen- (16) foot circle. The runner may stop once, but then mustimmediately attempt to advance to the next base or return to the last basetouched. Failure to immediately return non-stop to the base or proceednon-stop to the next base will result in the runner being declared out.

[Edited by fpsoftball1 on Jun 13th, 2004 at 07:02 AM]
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Fpsoftball,

From the sounds of things the runner should not have been called out until the batter-runner reached 1st base, but this is a relatively new rule, so your umpire may not have been aware of the change.

Did anyone protest the call?

SamC
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

WE PROTESTED AND LOST

THE UIC SAYS THAT NSA DOES NOT REQUIRE THE RUNNER TO REACH 1ST IN ORDER FOR THE RUNNER ON 3RD TO BE CALLED OUT WITH THE BALL IN THE CIRCLE. THE ONLY THING I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT IS THE BOLD FACE LINE IN THE RULE BOOK THAT SAYS: with the batter/runner being out or reaching first base,
Old Sun Jun 13, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: WE PROTESTED AND LOST

Quote:
Originally posted by fpsoftball1
THE UIC SAYS THAT NSA DOES NOT REQUIRE THE RUNNER TO REACH 1ST IN ORDER FOR THE RUNNER ON 3RD TO BE CALLED OUT WITH THE BALL IN THE CIRCLE. THE ONLY THING I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT IS THE BOLD FACE LINE IN THE RULE BOOK THAT SAYS: with the batter/runner being out or reaching first base,
fpsoftball11,

Could you quote where you are getting this information.

Rule 1 Sec 8. Batter-Runner: A player who has finished
his turn at bat,
but has not yet been put out, or touched 1st.

Unable to find what you are referring to.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

NSA RULE BOOK

THE NSA RULE BOOK
FAST PITCH & MODIFIED RULES
RULE 8 BASERUNNERS
SECTION 8
SUBSECTION X
PAGE 106 & 107
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Apparently this is another key difference between NSA and ASA. I was not aware of it until now.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Actually greymule,

It appears that ASA and NSa are the same on this rule. fpsoftball1's umpires just don't seem to be aware of it.

SamC
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: WE PROTESTED AND LOST

Quote:
Originally posted by fpsoftball1
Did you show them the new rule, and what was their interpretation?

SamC
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

NSA RULE

UPON OUR APPEAL AND THE UIC REVIEWING THE RULE BOOK, ALL THEY WOULD SAY IS THE POINT OF EMPHASIS WAS THAT THE RUNNER ON THIRD WAS OFF THE BASE AND THE BALL WAS IN THE CIRCLE AND IT DID NOT MATTER THAT THE BATTER/BASERUNNER HAD NOT REACHES 1ST. THE NEXT MORNING THEY ALSO SAID THEY REVIEWED IT WITH THE "SENIOR" OFFICIALS IN OUR AREA AND THEY STILL INSISTED THEY WERE RIGHT. I HAVE SINCE SENT AN EMAIL TO THE HEAD UMPIRE FROM NSA FOR A RULING AND I WILL OF COURSE POST IT HERE WHEN I GET HIS RESPONSE.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

HEAD OF NSA RULING

The runner is out if she does not immediately return once the ball goes into the circle. The fact that there was a walk here, is only a continuation of the first part of the rule. ie. when the runner is off of the base as a result of a pitch.

Eddie Ray Cantrell
NSA Executive VP & National Director of Umpires
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 09:42pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I don't do much fastpitch, but when I do, I work under ASA rules (with some local league modifications, etc.), but it sounds like the NSA made a case play out of your play. They've been known to be a little screwy with their interpretations. That's one reason a city nearby finally threw out NSA for both slow and fast pitch and switched to USSSA only for slow pitch and ASA only for fast pitch. The interpretations that come down from USSSA and ASA are consistent with the rules that are written, etc.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Best advice i can give is to: NEVER PLAY NSA AGAIN and i am speaking from experience. A.S.A and U.S.S.S.A are the way to go.