The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering how others feel...

How many games are realistic to umpire in one day and still know that you are doing a "good" game?

I know I have "hit the wall" on some days...last week I had my first "6 game day"...that's a lot of softball.

Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

College Level 3 Games(Really pushing it though). 2 on 1 off 1 on.

Summer Ball 4 Games.

We no longer will work "Iron Man" Softball. Not only do we feel like crap the next day, but we end up cheating the teams.

Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Back about 8 years ago, I did 24 FP games in 2 days. There was a serious shortage of umps. By the 10th game on Saturday I was dragging. By the 8th game on Sunday, I was calling folks in between games. No luck. I don't ever want to do that again. Got about 4 hours sleep between those 2 days. 104 degrees the 1st day, 102 degrees the 2nd day.

Today, I still I can do 7-8 games a day and not have any trouble with it. Give me a break sometime during the day for a lunch and I can go on. No problem with my mobility, mechanics or thought process.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Most in a row I like to do is 3. After 3 I feel like I'm a little behind.

In a day depends on how you feel. Like KellerUmps, I think 4 is enough in one day, 5 maybe. Don't feel like doing 7-8 (no offense TexBlue) is good for you, or the teams. Also depends on time limit. Did a tourney (FP) a while ago and because of rain we went to one-hour time limits. 3 games in a row is easy.

Doing indoor (because of all that snow we get in Indiana) ball I think 5 in a row was enough...I've done 7 but that was because of illness. 1:05 minute games, scheduled back to back. Saw one guy work 19 games of 24 games in 30 hours.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed FU....IF we have a time limit, then maybe we would work more depending on conditions. But for straight-up softball, outside, normal Illinois/Indiana weather then after 4 games I'm ready for several ice cold adult sodas.

Anything more and I feel like I am cheating somebody AND given my bad knee(Which has been giving me more problems lately).....Likely not walking the next day
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I also find two other factors that impact:

1. Weather....I'm looking forward to Saturday - calling for temps only @ 68 degrees and overcast. Those sunny, hot & humid days are tough on us in the Pacific NW. I feel for you in the south & midwest.

2. Whether it's a plate game or a base game. I discover that the bases really wear me out and I prefer the plate if I have a long schedule for the day.

College games - prefer just a doubleheader, but will work a preseason college tourney of 2 games on..1 off...2 games on.

High School games - prefer just a doubleheader

Summer games - prefer 2 games on - one off - 2 games on. And I have been limiting myself to only 1 day each weekend unless it's a very high level tourney (18A; 18GOLD; State)
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
College Level 3 Games(Really pushing it though). 2 on 1 off 1 on.

Summer Ball 4 Games.

We no longer will work "Iron Man" Softball. Not only do we feel like crap the next day, but we end up cheating the teams.

And that is a key. If possible from a scheduler's point of view, an umpire shouldn't be working more than 2 games in a 4 (SP) or 5 (FP) hour period. Only if it is absolutely necessary, and it does happen, should that be exceeded.

We've had these discussions before and there isn't one of you out there that can convince me otherwise, especially if working solo. I've done it as an umpire and I've seen it as a player and UIC.

You have guys who brag about 10 games a day. Say what you please, I believe somewhere along the way, you cheated a team out of 100% hustle. You may have be hustling to 100% of your ability, but I believe your abilities had probably diminished by the 10th game unless you were PACING yourself.

That term alone indicates that an umpire started the day not giving 100% because s/he was aware of the long day ahead.

I understand that sometimes it is unavoidable (well, it is avoidable. It's just that the softball orgs do not understand the concept of not scheduling beyond available resources).

JMHOBOE,

Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Speaking Fastpitch,absolutely no more than 3 games in one day according to the level of play.I am not assigned,nor would I take an assignment of more than a doubleheader for College or High School games.ASA Tournaments I will do 3 games maximum at the J.O. level with a time limit and 2 games at the Womens Major level.I believe a lot of concentration is lost and 100% cant be given with more games than that in fastpitch.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Some of this depends on what level of ball we're talking about, some on the weather of the day.

I've gotten to the point where I much prefer the 1-on, 1-off rotation that one of the men's organization uses. I stay fresher that way.

I've also gotten to the point where I just can't physically do justice to the game if more than 4 or 5 games in a day.

I recently did a conference championship - 3 in a row. My rotation was plate - third - first. By the end of the final game, I was beat. Didn't help much that my first game went 11 innings.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Games Per Day

I try never committing to more than one college or one high school double hedder whether it's softball or baseball.

For fastpitch softball tournaments (most of which have NNI or DD time limits) our commissioner assigns 3 person crews for two man mechanics games. We rotate as follows: Plate, Bases, Off. I can usually go for six games, any more than six and I feel my abilities have diminished.

Michael
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

At a meeting, one of our guys said, "After two games [in a row], you're not umpiring, you're patrolling." I thought there was a lot of truth in that.

I've done 4 one-man SP in a row in 100-degree sun in NJ's horrible humidity (close to 6 hours), with 4 others that day. After 2 games, I was basically just watching and hoping for fly balls, praying I wouldn't have to run anywhere.

Yes, you may think you're hustling, but no question you're pacing yourself.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

The most FP I have ever done in one day is 7, and I will never do it again if I can help it. Here (Phoenix) we schedule two on, one off....we TRY for a maximun of 4 in the summer, and MAYBE 6 when it gets cooler... almost NEVER 3 in a row. I have done 6 sp in a row....but after a while, you lose it, no matter who you are.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

And there is a difference between "doing games" and "umpiring games" as well.

I worked a youth SP invite about 5 years ago and they were short umpires (what's new). One guy and I stayed on a diamond for 10 hours straight...no joke...I had a hard time moving by the end of game 10.

Most FP I've done in one day was 9...in a row...men's A FP...had three umpires for the diamond, one guy gets sick in first inning of first game...my partner and I go all day, then come back for 6 more Sunday...assignor gave us extra money for doing so many games in a row, but I paid for it the next few days. 15 in two days was STUPID!

Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

"doing games vs. umprinig games" is a good prespective---
back when I had four kids to feed, I'd work anywhere-
anytime-- I was in it for the $$ and really didn't care
how bad I was after working so much.
That was then, this is now. I'm also retired now and
really even do not like working double headers !!
I only work HS games these days and a couple games a week is fine with me, although I sometimes get "stuck" doing
more as we are short of qualified HS varsity umps.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy
"doing games vs. umprinig games" is a good prespective---
back when I had four kids to feed, I'd work anywhere-
anytime-- I was in it for the $$ and really didn't care
how bad I was after working so much.
That was then, this is now. I'm also retired now and
really even do not like working double headers !!
I only work HS games these days and a couple games a week is fine with me, although I sometimes get "stuck" doing
more as we are short of qualified HS varsity umps.
I've been wanting to cut down for a couple of years now, but during HS season I get at least three calls a day to do games...during summer, leagues are always looking for umpires...have one guy who lives near me who will "only work 18U, 16U and good 14U" leagues...demands $10 more per game, and wonders why no one calls.