The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Another question......I'm still on my roll. FUBlue will be a UIC for us next weekend at a National Qualifier 16-U outside of Evansville Indiana. Now this is a really fun area in terms of outside adult activities. Anyway, in a phone conversation FU said that they were having a tough time finding umpires because they are not willing to travel very far due to gas prices....Avg $2.00 gal in our area. We are traveling about 160mi - 1 way....FU about 220 mi 1-way.

So.............How far are you willing to travel and under what conditions(For example, we will only work Summerball if we can travel together.).

Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

You are on a roll.

150 miles each way is my limit.

Gas prices really affected the tourney I worked last week. We should have had 18 umpires and only had 13...major reason was gas prices....$2.27/gal in our area.

Now, when I travel to my spring college tourney (they don't cover travel costs)...I'll cash in my frequent flier miles, hotel points to cover all my travel costs to Arizona.

Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I'm not counting College Ball....Our conferences pay for mileage, Hotels, and some per-diem.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I was asked last weekend to travel to a tourney in Las Vegas, about 400 miles one way. They had some teams drop out so he could only give me eight games over the weekend. Even though the tourney would have paid for a room for the weekend, I probably would have barely broken even with gas and food. I declined. I have traveled about 300 miles one way for the last three years to work a prestigious HS tournament. I make a little money on that one, but the ball is way to good to pass up.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

For me, a lot would depend on the circumstances.

Is it a routine invitational tournament?
Is it a prestigious tournament?
Is it a "step-up" opportunity?
Is it something that, heck, I just WANT to do?
Will I get to meet Glen?

Things like that. Given the right circumstances, I might even return to Texas (no, wait, that is another thread!)
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Not counting college ball, I've gone a little over 300 miles 1-way. But that group pays gas money along with hotel & a per diem. If there's no gas money invloved, it depends. I've gone to a tournament about 240 miles away for the past few years, but I have family & friends in that area, so it's a "free" trip out to see them. For league play, no more than 30 miles for the double header.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
For me, a lot would depend on the circumstances.

Is it a routine invitational tournament?
Is it a prestigious tournament?
Is it a "step-up" opportunity?
Is it something that, heck, I just WANT to do?
Will I get to meet Glen?

Things like that. Given the right circumstances, I might even return to Texas (no, wait, that is another thread!)
Since I live outside the DC Metro area, the nearest Intersate highway is 32 miles from my house (1 way}. I average 65 - 150 miles for high school games, further for college games and I've been known travel 600 miles for National Tournaments.

I agree with Tom. Type of tournament, opportunity and desire. As we all know, it's not about the money.

Michael
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Since I'm mentioned in the initial post, I feel it necessary to reply.

For college I'll go about anywhere for one assignor...most schools in the conference he schedules are 100+ miles (one way) from my house...I go just to see some college ball outside my local area. I've gone as far as 200 miles one way for college ball. (NAIA, DIII, DII, etc...no DI yet)

For high school I go as little as 10 miles one way, as much as 60 miles one way. CD and I took a trip to a HS about 60 miles from here as a favor to an AD.
Next year, I'm meeting a friend of mine who lives in Michigan at the half-way point between our houses...about 150 miles one way...do do HS DH's. Why? Just to umpire with him.

For leagues, I usually stick within 30 miles or so...have traveled 100+ as favors to people, but not usually.

For travel tournaments, usually I'm within 50 miles of my house...lots of States and invites in this area...but I am taking two trips to the previously mentioned location this summer.

Taking my longest National trip to day this summer...290 miles to Moline, IL.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I will travel a long way to do good softball. HS - Up to 75 mi. one way. College DIII - DI - where ever they send me up to 2 hours away. This summer I am traveling to Colorado and Indiana from Minnesota. It will be good softball worked by committed officials and that is just fun to do.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 04:19pm
Never Stop Learning

I will travel as far as it takes to do good softball. I have traveled as far as 4500 miles on my nickel for ASA nationals and about the same on someone elses. Being from Alaska we don't have much choice but to travel. I just got back today from our high school state championships and that was 400 miles but we flew on someone elses nickle. Will be going to Washington twice this summer and California once. Good softball is worth it. Flying changes the whole aspect of distance. I never have and never will do this for the money. If I break even that is unusual.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on Jun 6th, 2004 at 05:46 PM]
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I'm gonna drive over 260 miles one way this coming weekend. They're picking up the hotel bill, maybe food. As long as it's good ball, great. OH YEAH, I DO GET TO CALL WITH GLEN THIS WEEKEND!!!! I have already driven to Evansville, IN. That's 780 miles one way. I picked up the hotel, food and gas. Since then they've picked up the hotel bill for me. About 6 years ago, PONY had a Nationals up there. It was a blast, only got paid for games. I've gone to Marion, IL 3 times, (700 miles one way). This year, I'm going to Baton Rouge (470 miles one way) and Harlingen, TX (480 miles one way.) One of the years that I went to IL, the gas prices were around $2-$2.50. This was in the last great price hike about 4-5 years ago. I drove on propane all the way up. Think I broke even on these? Not even close.

But it was a lot of fun. Heck, most of the mileages talked about so far won't even get me out of Texas if I go west, except for Ed's. It's gotta be for fun, or you gotta stay closer to home.

[Edited by TexBlue on Jun 6th, 2004 at 05:51 PM]
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
I will travel a long way to do good softball. HS - Up to 75 mi. one way. College DIII - DI - where ever they send me up to 2 hours away. This summer I am traveling to Colorado and Indiana from Minnesota. It will be good softball worked by committed officials and that is just fun to do.
Where in Indiana?
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

TexBlue has it right. If it's fun, it's worth the travel. We enjoy this thing called umpiring, or we wouldn't be doing it. My wife thinks I'm nuts doing all the traveling I do, but I really like it. Where else can I get paid (so I somewhat come close to breaking even) for my hobby?
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I guess there is a AFA Womens' National in Martinsville the 3rd weekend in July. I think it is the first year for a tournament of this type in AFA. It is the first year for me to do AFA ball but the tournament will be using NCAA rules. Are you from around there? My Colorado tournament is the Fireworks in Aurora (that is a blast!)
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
This year, I'm going to Baton Rouge (470 miles one way)
According to the NCAA CNT broadcasters, you have achieved "east coast" status when you hit Baton Rouge, LA.

Congratulations!