The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Last night heated 11-13 age Rec game between 1st & 2nd place team. Loosing team behind by 4 with 2 outs. Girl on 3rd called out by me for LBR violation.
Coach called commissioner, and all other coaches in that age complaining about me, and how could I call such a thing.
So now there is a big meeting tonight up on the fields and I have ben warned they are going to drop the LBR for that age. So I wonder what we umps are supposed to do now when it happens. I think call time, dead ball, put everyone back where they were when the pitcher first got the ball in the circle. You guys think that is a good fix ???? This age also dropped IFR because girls could not understand that rule either.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
...I have been warned they are going to drop the LBR for that age....This age also dropped IFR because girls could not understand that rule either.
It is a slippery slope chuck! Get out while you can, save yourself or STAND UP FOR THE RULES OF THE GAME.

Sounds like they are prostituting the rules and calling it fair and just when in reality they are not teaching the girls a darn thing. In fact, they are propogating a long standing practice of not giving girls more credit for their talents or feeling sorry for them. Perhaps at their age they cannot "see" this but rest assured that when they become enlightened hell hath no fury......
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
You guys think that is a good fix ????
No. The good fix is to let the cat and mouse games go on and on and on - live ball, players end the play. Ball in the circle means nothing. Runners can lead off, runners can taunt the pitcher, etc. Let 'em live with the result of their actions.

Deleting the IFR is no big deal - if the players are not skilled enough to pull of the easy double play, then all the IFR does is give the defense an unearned out.

If one team IS skilled enought to pull it off, then the commissioner will suddenly understand the reason for the rule.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
I'm with Tom on tis one. Let the cat and mouse games go on as long as they want, and let the coaches police their on runners. Once their games start running 3-4 hours or if they have a time limit once they start finishing only 2 innings, they sill learn pretty quickly why the LBT was written in the first place.

SamC
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I agree - don't fix their mess. Let the girls waste as much time as they like with nonsense, and hope that the commish sees the light.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

The verdict- seems two things are going on here;
1) The coaches are just now being made aware that there is a LBR rule.? Most just did not even get into the book to notice.
2) I am the only Ump doing their league that was enforcing the LBR.
With just 3 weeks left in the season coaches feel they need more time to teach this to the girls..thus they have asked our Ump group to not call the LBR for the remainder of the season. This goes for the 14-17 age bracket also.
They did decide to have a softball meeting for ALL age bracket coaches in about one week to discuss these matters further.
I admit it is disturbing that out of the dozen or so of us that Ump their league, the others just let anything go so as not to "rock the boat". My assigner was there and shame on her for not getting those other Umps to start officiating like they are supposed to.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I feel your pain. At our local rec league (11-13) there's no lookback rule, no dropped third strike, no infield fly and no stealing of second or advancing on a passed ball. Coaches took these steps this year to make it more "fair" for this age group. What it does is make for a dull game where the catcher rarely has to stop the ball and fielders don't have to think.

Old Thu May 27, 2004, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

I felt a philosophical wave come over me after that meeting. I already feel what is being called the "dumbing of society" then there is certainly "a dumbing of kids re: the public school system" and now I am seeing it spill over into our level of play in "recreational sports". We are just teaching less & less...expecting less & less. When they have this bigger meeting in a week or so, perhaps they will ask for my opinion..& I can climb up on my soap box & push for more not less.