The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hello NCAA & ESPN! I only have one question: Just how damn stupid are you people? For the record, being in the business of sports, you are both constantly proving to be dumb as dirt.

I am completely impressed that you are giving the NCAA Softball Championship Series a fair amount of coverage. However, even though it is probably a throw-in with the NCAA contracts (including CBS Sports), there is no reason ESPN should not take their coverage seriously.

Having a player/coach in the box spouting off about rules and interpretations that are totally wrong or do not exist is one thing. Today's broadcast of the UCLA/Alabama Regional Final was absolutely terrible and lead me to believe you consider your audience to be totally morons.

Quite contrary though, it is the announcers who are suspect and kill you credibility on a regular bases.

Today, whoever was working the game had to be the worst to date. At first, I thought the studio had inverted the broadcast, but knew that wasn't true when I didn't see the BR head toward 3B when they hit the ball. Since I thought that no one working a ball game is that dumb, I called a friend to see if they noticed the same thing I did. I was relieved to know that I wasn't losing my mind or hearing.

On at least two occasions, possibly more, a very softball-stupid announcer referred to everything to the right of HP-2B extended as LEFT FIELD.

How in God's name can a supposedly professional organization like ESPN constantly include such inept people in their broadcasts?

You need to start getting some feedback from people who actually know the rules and the game if you intend to improve your credibility in this sport.

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Nice rant, but one point ...

ESPN is part of ABC, not CBS (oops).
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I think you might be pissed, Mike

Perhaps their announcer just got their job sites for the day confused.... and we got the regular bowling announcer...

Yeah I wonder how the bowling tournament went? "That's an incredible curve ball from nearly falling off the lane to right down the middle. Couldn't miss that call!" "My that's a big ball; you say they weigh 16 pounds! Incredible! These pitcher's, I mean bowlers, must have a horrendous workout schedule."

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Nice rant, but one point ...

ESPN is part of ABC, not CBS (oops).
I believe CBS Sports holds the broadcast contracts for NCAA Championships and what ESPN gets is basically subcontracted work.

You will see a CBS logo on most, if not all, NCAASports sites.