The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

(NCAA)
Just wondering if anyone reading the board works the really big stuff!

I'm looking forward to watching it.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Nope....But several of our friends are. I worked my first conference tournament this year though.....
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Got a couple of buddies in the regionals - and another couple that I have met but don't know well enough to call buddies. My college season ended with a conference championship this year.

High school districts start this week through next week, then states, then high school is done.

Had the plate in the finals of a men's major tournament a couple of weeks ago - boy that's just a whole 'nother world after nothing but high school & college ball.

[Edited by Steve M on May 23rd, 2004 at 06:07 PM]
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

My college season ended at the NCC conference tournament DII. I hope to do regionals soon.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

wow.. you guys are pretty close. Thats fairly big time.

I am sending my letter to the HS association around here (NCOA) to get on the list for the clinics and get certified for HS Games next year. Moving on up!
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
(NCAA)
Just wondering if anyone reading the board works the really big stuff!

I'm looking forward to watching it.
One of my deputies and one of my buds who is Steve M's ASA UIC (Luau Bowers) worked the Div III NCAA SOFTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS. NCAA is a bit weak on box scores, but I thought I saw a fried working the UCLA/Alabama game today. I can only assume another pal will be working the NCAA SOFTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS, Olympic-bound Debbie Lauderback.

As far as a WCWS, I'm not aware of any teams from outside the U.S. playing in this tournament.

Being a dick? No, just not arrogant enough to buy into such a ludicrous claim.

Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Mike,

Last year, my former UIC Charles Myers was umpiring the World Series. Look for him; he's an excellent umpire! He pushed me to get to where I got, (5 ASA Nationals) which is saying something for me being an old, fat lady!!

LOL

Elaine

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Geri Maguire was at third and Brian Smith was at first. Not sure who the plate umpire was.....

WCWS Umpires

Tom Topping
Mike Mazur
Suzi Benzel
Linda Hoover
Willie Newman
Paul Edds
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Mike,
Geri Maguire was at third and Brian Smith was at first. Not sure who the plate umpire was.....

WCWS Umpires

Tom Topping
Mike Mazur
Suzi Benzel
Linda Hoover
Willie Newman
Paul Edds
Well, I understand why Deb isn't there as I believed she worked it last year. Thought there may have been an exception made since she is heading to Athens shortly.

BTW, I detest the acronym WCWS or CWS. It is an outright falacy and intelligent people should not accept it. Just part of the American arrogance that constantly leads our country into more trouble than we can handle.

JMHO,

Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

thats what its called mike... I wouldnt worry about it that much.. its to sell it and if they sell it .. it grows. I'd like to see fast pitch grow bigger than it is... so call it the superbowl of softball for all I care.

Now the crappy work ESPN did on the game today - I'm with you 100%.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
thats what its called mike... I wouldnt worry about it that much.. its to sell it and if they sell it .. it grows. I'd like to see fast pitch grow bigger than it is... so call it the superbowl of softball for all I care.

Now the crappy work ESPN did on the game today - I'm with you 100%.
With all due respect, the ISF runs the "world series". Just because a group calls something a particular name doesn't mean it is correct. BTW, more than 165 countries participate (ISF) in the game of softball, so what makes the NCAA even come close to thinking they can claim to operate a "world" series when there are no teams from any other countries invited? And you don't even want to go into the "little ball" game as they cannot even qualify to compete in the real "world series".

I consider myself a bit more intelligent than to just accept something because someone "says so", much like Scott and his road-crossing chickens

Old Sun May 23, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Nope Deb didn't work it last year either....

Sally Walker
Mike Mazur
Smokey Edds
Donna Vavrinec
Lori Bish
Kevin Davis

She did work this years regional in Arizona though.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
BTW, I detest the acronym WCWS or CWS. It is an outright falacy and intelligent people should not accept it. Just part of the American arrogance that constantly leads our country into more trouble than we can handle.
Chill, Mike. Somehow I seriously doubt calling the NCAA diamond sports championship tournament the whatever "world series" led to 9-11 or Iraq.

No one seriously considers either of these to be world championships. The name is merely derived from MLB, which most people view for what it is - the championship series for MLB.

Why do you rant about their use of the word "world" but not about their use of the word "series" - it ain't a series, either! It's a tournament!
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Chill, Mike. Somehow I seriously doubt calling the NCAA diamond sports championship tournament the whatever "world series" led to 9-11 or Iraq.
Don't be so sure it is not part of the attitude around the world. You might be surprised how others feel about ugly Americans.
Quote:

No one seriously considers either of these to be world championships. The name is merely derived from MLB, which most people view for what it is - the championship series for MLB.

Why do you rant about their use of the word "world" but not about their use of the word "series" - it ain't a series, either! It's a tournament!
Actually, it does fall within the definition of "series" as presented in Merriam-Webster.

Rant on!

It's quite a bit different now. When the "world series" started with MLB, it is because this was the only country playing that variety of stick, ball and base game. However, when other countries adopted the sport, instead of being accepted by this country, they were mocked as supporting a second-rate game that could never measure up to the game played by Americans. Guess what? If you think the rest of the world is not enjoying the US's omission from this year's Olympics, I believe you are mistaken.

Of course, softball is the largest beneficiary of baseball's absence as they have picked-up their prime-time TV slots.

The closest thing this country has to a true "world series" is that of Little League baseball and even that is marred by American arrogance through the manipulation of the format to assure a team from this country in the final. And, BTW, just how many countries are represented in the officiating ranks for the LLWS?

Rant off!

Thanks,

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Nope Deb didn't work it last year either....

Sally Walker
Mike Mazur
Smokey Edds
Donna Vavrinec
Lori Bish
Kevin Davis

She did work this years regional in Arizona though.
I may be confusing that with conference championships. Thanks for the info.