The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I was calling a rec league game the other night, using Dixie Belles rules, and the following occured. Runner coming from third, F2 blocking home plate takes the throw cleanly. As the runner goes to slide on a rock hard, not well maintained infield, her cleats catch and send her tumbling, of course, right into the catcher who makes the tag and then drops the ball. I wait to make the call, and seeing the ball roll away, make a safe call. Both girls, get up, dust themselves off, and the runner retreats to the dugout without ever touching home plate, or for that matter, even getting close to it. (The collision happened about three feet in front of the plate.)

Defensive coach requests time. "Ah," I think to myself,"a rec league coach who is paying attention to the game." I grant the time. Coach approaches. And what do you think he said???

"I thought that the runner had to slide."

Yup. Nothing about the runner never making to home. I explain that there is no rule requiring a runner to slide, but simply to avoid contact. I then explain that the runner attempted to slide, her cleat caught and send her tumbling. Hence, what we had in esscence was a train wreck. Before ending the conversation, I gently prod, "Is there anything else, coach?!" There was nothing.

However, at the change of the next half inning, he does come by and ask if I didn't think that the runner had lowered her shoulder into the catcher. I assured him that she did not. After he had walked off, I leaned to my partner and asked, "should I tell him?" His response: "Why make him suffer any more than he is already?"

Sad thing is, had the coach been watching, he could have had the out he so desperately was seeking.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Better to have done as you did and say nothing.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

her cleats catch and send her tumbling

Scott,

What age group are the Dixie Belles? Were cleats
metal or rubber?

Appears he had his opportunities for an out. Just not
watching the play.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

I have been educated, learned a new rule (except this was 9/10 BB,mon night)

Fan, loudly: There goes that "STAND UP RULE" he's gotta slide blue, don't you even know the rules?

Shoulda left it but,

Me, calmly: He does not have to slide, but must avoid a collision, did you see a collision?

Fan, again loudly: Well you didn't call it last time when you coached us.

Me, smiling: Sir I have never coached you!

He moved down to 1B side of fence, I think he kinda got embarresed! As I said, I should have not even replied, but game prior, I had the same conversation with a coach! He was never convinced that runner did not have to slide.

I was never informed of the new "STAND UP" rule, must chastise my UIC!

Old Fri May 21, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was calling a rec league game the other night, using Dixie Belles rules

Oh, Contrare concerning sliding

From Dixie Rule 8:08 (T):
(T) — Any baserunner is out when she does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag on her.

I had reasom to check this a couple of weeks ago because I had erroneously told a Dixie league coach there was no slide rule.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

emaxos:

Carefully reread this rule:

"Any baserunner is out when she does not slide or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag on her."

This is what we mean when we say they must avoid a collision. There is no requirement to slide. Don't get that confused. They must only avoid a collision, though of course, sliding is an option in fulfilling this rule!

No organization, in its right mind, will ever pass a rule that requires a runner to slide. Our society is too eager to sue at the drop of a hat.

[Edited by Skahtboi on May 21st, 2004 at 11:21 AM]

Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
her cleats catch and send her tumbling

What age group are the Dixie Belles? Were cleats
metal or rubber?
15U. Rubber/plastic.

Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

She did slide!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
. As the runner goes to slide on a rock hard, not well maintained infield, her cleats catch and send her tumbling, of course, right into the catcher who makes the tag and then drops the ball. ...

... he does come by and ask if I didn't think that the runner had lowered her shoulder into the catcher....
She did slide. Only not very well. See that often enough in girls games.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lildani14 Send a message via MSN to lildani14
Re: She did slide!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
[i]She did slide. Only not very well. See that often enough in girls games.
I do hope thats not a comment saying girls can't slide? It was a poor field, it happens. no offense taken or meant, just commenting...
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Error

Quote:
I was calling a rec league game the other night, using Dixie Belles rules, and the following occured. Runner coming from third, F2 blocking home plate takes the throw cleanly. As the runner goes to slide on a rock hard, not well maintained infield, her cleats catch and send her tumbling, of course, right into the catcher who makes the tag and then drops the ball. I wait to make the call, and seeing the ball roll away, make a safe call. Both girls, get up, dust themselves off, and the runner retreats to the dugout without ever touching home plate, or for that matter, even getting close to it. (The collision happened about three feet in front of the plate.)

The error on this play was when you signaled her safe. It should have been a no-call.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

The error on this play was when you signaled her safe. It should have been a no-call.

In Dixie under appeals rule 12, it states:

"On a play at the plate where the baserunner misses the plate and the catcher attempts to tag but also misses, the umpire shall make a call of 'Safe'. If the catcher then tags the baserunner or plate, the umpire would then rule the baserunner 'Out'. If the umpire did not make an initial 'Safe' call or made no call at all, he would be tipping off the catcher and the baserunner that the base was missed."
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Willie:

In situations like this, you never have a no call for the reason ABZ stated above.

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Error

Quote:
Willie:

In situations like this, you never have a no call for the reason ABZ stated above.
The "Dixie Rule" stated doesn't reference a dropped ball. This isn't like a call at first base where a runner has assumed to touch the base. The safe call would discourage a runner from tagging the plate and put them at risk of being called out on appeal.

Quote:
If the umpire did not make an initial 'Safe' call or made no call at all, he would be tipping off the catcher and the baserunner that the base was missed.
I believe that is what you want. Then, again, this is rec league using "Dixie Belle Rules" which I am unfamiliar with.
I certainly wouldn't want this hanging over my head in a championship setting. JMHO
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

In Dixie, it's specifically stated that if runner overruns homeplate without touching, we signal safe. I'm pretty sure, but not absolutely sure, that the ASA mechanic is the same. Once the runner CROSSES home, she's assumed to have achieved that base unless appealed. We should call her safe. I don't think you have a "no call" in either jurisdiction.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Error

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
I certainly wouldn't want this hanging over my head in a championship setting. JMHO
I certainly wouldn't want it hanging over my head in a championship setting that I had failed to apply the prescribed mechanic, and therefore tipped off either the offense or the defense.

Willie, at this level, the baserunner is supposed to know her obligations, which, in this case, is to touch all bases in regular order. She should be aware that she failed to touch home. However, the defense, though they should be aware, obviously wasn't aware that she had failed to do so. On a bang bang play near the plate, both teams are going to be looking for either a safe or an out call. A no call will indicate to both teams that something is screwy, and this is not our job. Next thing you know you have everybody running around trying to guess what is missing from the equation, and all hell breaks loose. The prescribed mechanic in all associations in this case is, therefore, to signal safe on the alleged tag, since the catcher dropped the ball. This puts the onus where it belongs, on the players and coaches, to know whether or not anything else needs to be ruled on.

[Edited by Skahtboi on May 24th, 2004 at 03:07 PM]