The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a ground ball toward the 3rd baseman. I'm in "C" and move to make the call at 3rd but the ball goes under the 3rd baseman's glove to the outfield. I hustle to the inside of the infield noting that each runner touched their respective bases. Does the home umpire have any responsibilities for bases on this play? Due to the different speeds of the runners, sometimes it's hard to clearly see the touch at 1st base (I usually catch it out of the corner of my eye). Any tips on the best way to see all three initial touches?
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 07:54am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a ground ball toward the 3rd baseman. I'm in "C" and move to make the call at 3rd but the ball goes under the 3rd baseman's glove to the outfield. I hustle to the inside of the infield noting that each runner touched their respective bases. Does the home umpire have any responsibilities for bases on this play? Due to the different speeds of the runners, sometimes it's hard to clearly see the touch at 1st base (I usually catch it out of the corner of my eye). Any tips on the best way to see all three initial touches?
Pre-game: Whenever I am on the left side, I ask the PU to be ready to help with first.
If an appeal is made at first, I'll go to plate for help because I was busy.
mick
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but here is my take:

Obviously, if F5 had cleanly fielded the ball and made a play at third, it would be your responsibility.

Since the ball went through to the outfield, the lead runner touching third becomes the responsibility of the PU, the BU now has responsibility for the trailing runners and ensuring they touch each base properly.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
As PU, I always try to watch for the BR touching 1st and for OBS by F3.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Right on!

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but here is my take:

Obviously, if F5 had cleanly fielded the ball and made a play at third, it would be your responsibility.

Since the ball went through to the outfield, the lead runner touching third becomes the responsibility of the PU, the BU now has responsibility for the trailing runners and ensuring they touch each base properly.
This is the way I do it too, Andy. Every pregame I do with my partner has always included these words to the base umpire, "You've got the last runner all the way to third. If it is just the Batter-runner, she's the last runner."

The BU has responsibility for the first play by an infielder, except right in front of the PU at home. If the ball goes outfield, now the the BU generally has 1st and 2nd base to cover and the PU has 3rd and home.

But as noted in this conversation so far, it better be pregamed or two umpires will be watching 3rd as the BR runs over F3.

Personnally, I feel the F3 obstruction is the BU's call/responsibility. PU has responsibility for the ball once it leaves the infield not the BR. As the BU I will position myself near the pitcher's mound, possibly perform a final act of seeing the runner touch 3rd and then, with my back generally towards home (not in an ignoring way but my attention is at 1st & 2nd), begin watching runners touch 2nd and then 1st. I follow the last runner all the way to 3rd unless the PU has designated that we should perform a switch because he is out at 3rd (probably done that a half-dozen times in over 20 years of officiating).

PU takes the most important action and that is generally the lead runner. BU takes tag-ups for the others.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on May 19th, 2004 at 01:06 PM]