The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Would any of you blues consider what is described in the
follwing as a "Train Wreck"?

A train wreck is where a defender in this case 1st base or the fielder recieving the throw blocks the bag as the runner dives back in. The defender is not in possesion of the ball, but rather catches it after the runner dives head first into her and is trying to find a way through the defender to the bag. Sometimes what seems like an eternity passes while the runner trys to claw through a crouching defender blocking the bag. After recieving the throw defender slaps the tag on runner. Case 2 runner going home, catcher is 2 feet up the line, runner has to alter path to avoid defender without possesion. NO CALL. Catcher sitting on plate without possesion, runner,diving slide PLOWS HEAD FIRST into catcher not in possesion, catcher recieves throw, applies tag. NO CALL, THIS IS A TRAIN WRECK. If you can honestly say you have not witnessed this NO CALL by an umpire, I will withdraw my complaint, apologize and stand corrected. If you have, were you umpiring these no call train wrecks? Can you honestly say you made the call in each case? At what point does safety enter your judgement? Before or after the EMS takes an injured player off the field?

Curious.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 10:23pm
Never Stop Learning

Always considered a train wreck was when offense, defense, and ball all got there at the same time. Doesn't sound like any train wrecks here, just a lot of obstruction.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on May 21st, 2004 at 02:06 AM]
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

looks like a "train wreck" and obstuction. Brian
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
To me, this is not a train wreck. It sounds to me like this is obstruction and I'll make that call. ASA and FED both mandate the call now.

A train wreck is when the collision occurs simultaneously with ball, defense and offense all trying to occupy the same place physically at the same time. These happen sometimes and usually, it's gonna result in a pretty good crash. Nothing to call, just keep your fingers crossed that everyone is OK.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
Brian, just curious, but where do you see a "Train Wreck"
in either of the posted cases?
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump

A train wreck is where a defender in this case 1st base or the fielder recieving the throw blocks the bag as the runner dives back in. The defender is not in possesion of the ball, but rather catches it after the runner dives head first into her and is trying to find a way through the defender to the bag. Sometimes what seems like an eternity passes while the runner trys to claw through a crouching defender blocking the bag. After recieving the throw defender slaps the tag on runner. Case 2 runner going home, catcher is 2 feet up the line, runner has to alter path to avoid defender without possesion. NO CALL. Catcher sitting on plate without possesion, runner,diving slide PLOWS HEAD FIRST into catcher not in possesion, catcher recieves throw, applies tag. NO CALL, THIS IS A TRAIN WRECK. If you can honestly say you have not witnessed this NO CALL by an umpire, I will withdraw my complaint, apologize and stand corrected. If you have, were you umpiring these no call train wrecks? Can you honestly say you made the call in each case? At what point does safety enter your judgement? Before or after the EMS takes an injured player off the field?

Curious.
Glen,

Did you get this from the "dark side"? This smells a lot more like BASEBALL than softball.

Speaking ASA, both scenarios are obstruction. In the 2nd scenario, if I believed the head-first dive was into the catcher and not an attempt to touch the plate....well, I think by now you all know where I stand on that.

Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Glen,

After a couple of sentences into the description, I had to stop and look back to see which raving maniac had posted yet another "all umpires are scum" posts. Where did you get this?

Anyway, to answer your question, the actions described were all obstruction. Even under the "about to receive" codes.
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
Brian, just curious, but where do you see a "Train Wreck"
in either of the posted cases?
Glen , I was picturing everything coming together at once. After rereading I don't see it that way. QUESTION : If it was a train wreck, in most cases wouldn't it be obstuction ? (ASA new rule) Brian
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Glen,

After a couple of sentences into the description, I had to stop and look back to see which raving maniac had posted yet another "all umpires are scum" posts. Where did you get this?

http://www.eteamz.com/fastpitch/boar...cfm?id=1000381

Go over and see what I might have said wrong. Long thread,
about 30/31 replies.

Anyway, to answer your question, the actions described were all obstruction. Even under the "about to receive" codes.
--Mark Twain.