The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Here's in CT, one town's Men's SP ASA Rec league that I will be working wants to allow all bats to be used, and to ignore the ASA banned bat list for their league games. I've told them that they will need to contact the UIC for the league and straighten this out before the season starts in May. I don't know why they are so emphatic to use the illegal bats, mnaybe because the teams have already spent so much $$ on them?

The possible outcomes that I foresee are:
1.) They are told that if they are using ASA umpires, then they must not use bats that ASA considers illegal.
2.) They use their illegal bats and submit some type of written waiver to the UIC (who accepts it?), absolving the ASA umps who work their games of liability in any situations that may arise from use of the illegal bats.
3.) They get their own non-ASA umps to work their games.

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or similar experiences, they can share?

Thanks.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Have them contact a lawyer specializing in defending business against product liablity and personal injury suits.

That should straighten them out.

I wouldn't call any of their games if they stick with this.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Here's in CT, one town's Men's SP ASA Rec league that I will be working wants to allow all bats to be used, and to ignore the ASA banned bat list for their league games. I've told them that they will need to contact the UIC for the league and straighten this out before the season starts in May. I don't know why they are so emphatic to use the illegal bats, mnaybe because the teams have already spent so much $$ on them?

The possible outcomes that I foresee are:
1.) They are told that if they are using ASA umpires, then they must not use bats that ASA considers illegal.
It would be nice to conform, but your insurance is not voided if a team(s) use illegal equipment. Of course, if someone gets hurt, you'll be happy you have it as everyone and their mother will receive a summons or subpoena for that case.

Quote:
2.) They use their illegal bats and submit some type of written waiver to the UIC (who accepts it?), absolving the ASA umps who work their games of liability in any situations that may arise from use of the illegal bats.
That, too, would be comforting, but basically useless as they have no authority to waive the rights of other entities (insurance companies) which may become involved at a later date.
Quote:

3.) They get their own non-ASA umps to work their games.
Or they could provide the umpire with additional insurance at their expense. Oh, that's right, they spent all their money on the illegal bats
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Next time you bring this up with the league or UIC don't refer to them as "illegal" bats, call them "banned and dangerous" bats since that is why they are illegal for more than any other reason.

Coach: "We should be able to use any bat."

Umpire:"Including banned and dangerous bats that if you should injure a pitcher or other infielder might result in not only a lawsuit but could get you in a criminal court for manslaughter or battery?"

Maybe that might get his attention.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same thing happening with 47 core balls. I feel the League Commissioner is liable, not me. I enforce their rules. If ASA Sanctions them, I'm covered.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rules are "required" for National Tournament Play, and local leagues that are not part of that have the option of following whichever of the ASA Rules they want.

In our local league, our Bylaws specify the exceptions we allow locally. If any of our teams, men or women, get involved in formal ASA progression toward National Championship(s), they then must be ready to abide by ALL the rules in the ASA Book.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot

It would be nice to conform, but your insurance is not voided if a team(s) use illegal equipment.
I would like to know if this is an OPINION or FACT regarding our insurance coverage if a team/league allows banned equipment and I work the game knowingly.

I worked a game last night in which I tossed out an illegal bat (per my handy ASA reference card) a tremendous arguement ensued. After being presented with a league list of banned bats that did not include the one I threw out, I felt compelled to allow the bat back in the game. Game on, at least 4 HR's, 3 deadly line drives and 2 actual injuries resulting from batted balls made me feel a bit uneasy for knowingly allowing that bat back in the game.

Yes, I will discuss with league director. Also, I will consider not working this league pending a response to my above inquiry.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR INDIVIDUAL ASA UMPIRES

WHEN THEY ARE COVERED

ASA sanctioned activities, games, leagues and tournaments involving registered teams.

Umpire Liability Insurance:

All umpires who are registered with ASA are automatically protected under ASA's comprehensive general liability policy. Coverage extends to lawsuits involving bodily injury, personal injury or property damage arising out of the performance of duties as an ASA umpire. The limits under the policy are $2,000,000 per occurrence with a $5,000,000 aggregate.
bollingerasa.com

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Since my league in question is ASA sanctioned, the banned bat would be covered - understood.

I still will make every effort to have this league adhere to the ASA banned bat list.

Thanks for the link.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Since my league in question is ASA sanctioned, the banned bat would be covered - understood.

I still will make every effort to have this league adhere to the ASA banned bat list.

Thanks for the link.
I asked this question during a discussion I had with John Spiota (Bollinger) two years ago. If you follow the link Tom provided and check you the highlights from the 2003 UIC Clinic, that specific question is answered as part of Bollinger's presentation at that clinic.