The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 01, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to hukonrt Send a message via Yahoo to hukonrt
Long time ago when I first started that would have been the PU's call...better angle. Nevertheless, if he were my partner at some point in the future I would want to stress the fact that I might call on him for help just because he might have a better view of the play. Allowing a coach to ask me to appeal to my partner is really OK so long as it is done properly and does not become excessive. It's still my call but if I have any thought at all that something might have happened that I didn't see, then I hope my partner is watching also. Always happy to get the call right even if I have to change it to do so.
Old Sat May 01, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't sound too much like an argument. It did sound like he was really unsure of the call. You handled it correctly. Even if he asked for help, the final decision on the call is his. Your response to the coach was good. I never tell the coach what I saw especially when it is in reference to my partner's call. I will discuss it with my partner and leave it up to him/her as to what they want to do with the call. I know that I have made a call and have asked for help from my partner. If he/she saw something different than what I did and I am sure that they are positive about it, then I will change the call. Pride goes before the fall so I will swallow every last ounce of it to ensure the players get a fair and accurate game.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Wink

So now, instead of players yelling "Do you have a date?", they can yell "Do you have a bus to catch?" or "What time is the bus?".

BTW, if you redline every partner who screws up, you will work a lot of games alone.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
So now, instead of players yelling "Do you have a date?", they can yell "Do you have a bus to catch?" or "What time is the bus?".

BTW, if you redline every partner who screws up, you will work a lot of games alone.

Not trying to "redline" every partner who screws up, just the ones who have a habit of screwing up on last outs (after talking to an assignor, this guy does), being late to games, and not being willing to learn a better way of doing things.

For crying out loud, we had to hold our pregame meeting (umpires, of course) between innings! Fortunately, he didn't have anything too major come up (save last play). Nothing that coaches would go ballistic about.

But what really gets me, and this is my soapbox, is in this state coaches vote for umpires who do the state championship tournament (NFHS). So, if I have partners that screw up all the time, it will eventually trickle down to making me look bad (i.e. coach loses game on a call like this one, but thinks that call cost them the game, so he votes me and partner as bad umpires). I'll stick by him through thick and thin on the diamond, then kick him in the stomach (figuratively) after the game, in private. Then I call assignor and have him not schedule me with partner again (BTW, assignor told me before game that he needed "one good umpire on the game, and that was me."
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
... snip ... But what really gets me, and this is my soapbox, is in this state coaches vote for umpires who do the state championship tournament (NFHS). ... snip...
I join in your hatred for that approach.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Amen to that! Coaches who lose a game you called because they were out gunned, out coached or whatever and want to blame the loss on you will remember not to vote for you at tourney time. However, the winning coach may forget you as quick as they forget their anniversary and might not vote for you either!
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But what really gets me, and this is my soapbox, is in this state coaches vote for umpires who do the state championship tournament (NFHS). So, if I have partners that screw up all the time, it will eventually trickle down to making me look bad (i.e. coach loses game on a call like this one, but thinks that call cost them the game, so he votes me and partner as bad umpires).
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this statement. I think that most coaches at the HS level are capable of judging each umpire on his own merit. I have spent this season working with many umpires who are not quite up to snuff. I have spent a lot of time on the field trying to help them kick their game up to that next level. Sometimes I have succeeded, and sometimes I haven't. However, I have still been requested by several teams to work their playoff games. That's because an umpire who hustles, has good mechanics, is professional, and displays rules knowledge on the field is always appreciated, even when working with the worst slug. Heck, maybe more so then.

I am not a fan of the coaches voting for umpires for playoffs, either. However, I still think that just because you work with someone who is a poor official, as long as you do what you know you are supposed to, the coaches who do the voting will notice.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
But what really gets me, and this is my soapbox, is in this state coaches vote for umpires who do the state championship tournament (NFHS). So, if I have partners that screw up all the time, it will eventually trickle down to making me look bad (i.e. coach loses game on a call like this one, but thinks that call cost them the game, so he votes me and partner as bad umpires).
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this statement. I think that most coaches at the HS level are capable of judging each umpire on his own merit. I have spent this season working with many umpires who are not quite up to snuff. I have spent a lot of time on the field trying to help them kick their game up to that next level. Sometimes I have succeeded, and sometimes I haven't. However, I have still been requested by several teams to work their playoff games. That's because an umpire who hustles, has good mechanics, is professional, and displays rules knowledge on the field is always appreciated, even when working with the worst slug. Heck, maybe more so then.

I am not a fan of the coaches voting for umpires for playoffs, either. However, I still think that just because you work with someone who is a poor official, as long as you do what you know you are supposed to, the coaches who do the voting will notice.
I think GOOD coaches will look at umpires individually...but bad coaches only care about "gettin' even" with someone for "costing them the game."
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think GOOD coaches will look at umpires individually...but bad coaches only care about "gettin' even" with someone for "costing them the game."
I can buy that!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
[QUOTE
I can buy that!
Here's an interesting one:

A few years ago, I called my sister, a high school coach at the time, to see if she had turned in her votes yet...and to beg for a vote. She said, "what vote?" I explained that coaches vote for tournament officials and her vote is important. Two days later she calls me and says, "oh, I checked on the vote...AD takes care of it." So I ask how that was so. And she said, "he said he votes for umpires who either work their games or umpires who work other sports for him." I then ask if she recognized the names of the umpires. She said, "I think three or four of them work our games...the rest do basketball for the school."

I then start naming names of umpires, good quality umpires, we both know. She kept saying no, even though these umpires work about 1/2 of her summer ball games. (And technically that counts).

So, the coaches don't get to vote, and worse, the AD votes for guys who work other sports for him. Sounds like a fair system, right?

But then again, GOOD coaches will vote for GOOD umpires. (Note: This was my sisters first year as a head coach...needless to say it was the last year AD did the voting).