The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Has anyone noticed the ad running on the TV networks featuring an umpire? (I don't remember the product - I want to say it's for an allergy medication, but I'm not sure.)

This guy is carrying the "baloon" protector, has his hat on backwards, and looks like he is wearing an old T-shirt.

Make's me want to throw something at the TV!
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

You and me both! It some allergy medication, possibly Allegra. The guy looks like a stooge. Maybe we should write the advertiser and tell them that as long as umpires are portrayed by them in such a light we will not support them by buying their product!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Has anyone noticed the ad running on the TV networks featuring an umpire? (I don't remember the product - I want to say it's for an allergy medication, but I'm not sure.)

This guy is carrying the "baloon" protector, has his hat on backwards, and looks like he is wearing an old T-shirt.

Make's me want to throw something at the TV!
Give'em a break. They had to dress the actor in something the people THINK an umpire looks like. Besides, most people wouldn't know a good umpire if they tripped over one.

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

About 3 years ago, a commercial came out where its a very tight close up of a glass. You keep seeing a hand attempt to put ice cubes in the glass..over & over again the ice cubes miss the glass and land on the table. Finally the narrator says " Oh come on, What are you blind !". The camera backs out & you see it was an UMPIRE trying to put the ice cubes in the glass. I can't even remember the product. I thought this was hilarious though.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

But that is intended to be funny.

I don't lack a sense of humor about umpiring. Remember that goofy umpire in that movie about the dog playing baseball? He was exaggerated for humor. Like the cops in various comedies - Smokey and the Bandit, etc.

However, this ad is not intended to be funny. Even giving the ad agencies their due, I still want to throw something at the TV every time this comes on.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Sadly enough, I was working a game monday where the guy working the plate on the other diamond could have been in one of those commercials. Hat on backwards (to accomodate his hockey-style mask), long sleeve white shirt under his shirt, balloon protector (which he's been told to get rid of for years), hides behind catcher, calls pitch when it's released, stands still behind the plate (I never saw him move). I think I even saw him knock the mud off of his shoes before the game.

So, I was either watching a 1 1/2 hour long TV commercial, or some umpires just like to look stupid.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon, they just makes those of us that do look and act like umpires look that much better.

Seriously, I like the jokes, been known to make a few myself. For example, whenever I'm asked what I get paid a game the answer is always "not what I'm worth" (I sometimes have to explain that one to AA's).

What's important is that YOU go out and look and act the part and you'll be apreciated. When you start reacting badly to good natured ribbing then you become the enemy.

Besides, the purpose of the ad was to show how miserable he was and how many people that work on Madison Ave. play ball and have a clue?
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Seriously, I like the jokes, been known to make a few myself.
Okay...what do you call two good umpires assigned to the same game?

Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Sadly enough, I was working a game monday where the guy working the plate on the other diamond could have been in one of those commercials. Hat on backwards (to accomodate his hockey-style mask), long sleeve white shirt under his shirt, balloon protector (which he's been told to get rid of for years), hides behind catcher, calls pitch when it's released, stands still behind the plate (I never saw him move). I think I even saw him knock the mud off of his shoes before the game.

So, I was either watching a 1 1/2 hour long TV commercial, or some umpires just like to look stupid.
Who does this guy know to get games? If he's in your association, did you report him?
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:

A federation of the blind convention????
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Overkill
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ever notice that almost all umpires seen on TV/Movies have their cap on backwards?

Worst commercial on TV right now involves Nolan Ryan and his wife in which a home ump calls ball four. Mrs. Ryan whines from the first base seats, "Bad call! That ump is blind!". Nolan responds, "You can't do much about a bad call, but...", then goes on hawking whatever he is trying to sell.

Makes me cringe everytime I see it.
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

A: An impossibility.

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE

Who does this guy know to get games? If he's in your association, did you report him?
Assignor gives everyone 10 varsity games...number required to apply to work state finals tournament...and gives the "less good" umpires the "lower quality" varsity games. Not fair to teams, but that the reality.

I told assignor, and he will "talk to the guys."
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Cool

not sure if this is "on topic" but ---
once I was calling a game out in a very small
community in CNY when I heard some fan yell
"that was a bush league call ump !"
I know I should not have reacted, but I couldn't
resist--- I just put up my hands and looked around
at the wooded hills surrounding the field----
it was good for a laugh !