The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Doing a Fed game this afternoon. I'm plate. As pitcher brings hands together she raises the toe of her pivot foot off the rubber, heal staying in contact, then returns toe to rubber and pushes off. Legal pitch. Between innings I hear partner telling coach that pitcher is legal in Fed, but the rocking motion would be illegal in ASA tourneys she may go to in summer. After game he says to me that foot must remain flat in ASA.

Was he right? ASA 6-3-G says "Raising the foot off the pitching plate and returning it to the plate creates a rocking motion and is an illegal act." I agree that in my scenario that the pitcher raised her toe a few inches but she definitely kept her heal in contact before lowering the toe. Would that be an illegal ASA pitch?
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
Doing a Fed game this afternoon. I'm plate. As pitcher brings hands together she raises the toe of her pivot foot off the rubber, heal staying in contact, then returns toe to rubber and pushes off. Legal pitch. Between innings I hear partner telling coach that pitcher is legal in Fed, but the rocking motion would be illegal in ASA tourneys she may go to in summer. After game he says to me that foot must remain flat in ASA.

Was he right? ASA 6-3-G says "Raising the foot off the pitching plate and returning it to the plate creates a rocking motion and is an illegal act." I agree that in my scenario that the pitcher raised her toe a few inches but she definitely kept her heal in contact before lowering the toe. Would that be an illegal ASA pitch?
If the pitcher maintains contact with both feet, it is legal. There is NOTHING which prohibits the ASA pitcher from having a rocking motion as long as both feet remain in contact during the part of the delivery prior to the required step with the non-pivot foot.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I only know of one significant difference between the NFHS and the ASA pitching mechanics...

In NFHS a back step is allowed by the stride foot. If the backward step is taken, it must begin before the hands come together.

There are a few other minor differences (e.g. definition of the start of pitch) and a slightly different definition of a crow hop, but otherwise, they are very similar.

What you are describing (lifting the toe of the pivot foot while keeping the heel in contact with the plate) is also legal in ASA. The key is keeping contact with the plate.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Tom, since you brought it up, There are rumors flying around (here..Baltimore) that Ferderated is considering disallowing the back step starting in the 2005 season.
Was wondering if anyone has heard same ?
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I figure that FED was going to disallow the backward step eventually. The FED rulebook looks like the ASA book more and more every year.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Tom, since you brought it up, There are rumors flying around (here..Baltimore) that Ferderated is considering disallowing the back step starting in the 2005 season.
A question best answered by Glen (connection to Walter Sparks) or WMB. I'm a relative novice in Fed ball.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

"A question best answered by Glen (connection to Walter Sparks) or WMB. I'm a relative novice in Fed ball."

Not gonna happ'n in NFHS. Though NFHS and ASA are obviously cooperating in getting their rules closer, this is one rule I believe that they will draw the line and refuse to cross over.

I really don't think that it is a big deal. The majority of girls only pitch in H.S. or Rec ball. Even many of the Summer Tournament organizations (USSSP, Pony) use H.S. pitching rules.

If a girl has the talent to pitch beyond H.S. (College, Olympics) then at some point she will have to change. And obviously, those that do go on, do change.

WMB

[Edited by WestMichBlue on Apr 23rd, 2004 at 11:42 AM]
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I will agree that the backward step allowance will not be removed from FED, but for a different reason.

It is easier to pitch with the backward step allowed for a less practiced pitcher. NFHS is as much about participation as competition (officially). The theory is that by allowing the backward step, more players are able to be pitchers.

In my experience, the best pitchers will pitch in the ASA style, starting with both feet on the pitchers plate. This is most likely due to the fact that they play ASA when they are not playing HS ball. It's difficult to learn and use two different pitching styles effectively.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
It is easier to pitch with the backward step allowed for a less practiced pitcher. NFHS is as much about participation as competition (officially). The theory is that by allowing the backward step, more players are able to be pitchers.
I agree, but that being said, the top pitchers can be more effective with the back step. It is not just a "novice" motion.
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

"It is easier to pitch with the backward step allowed for a less practiced pitcher. The theory is that by allowing the backward step, more players are able to be pitchers."

That's just not true at all, Andy. Men have been pitching this way for 60+ years. For some unknown reason ASA decided to restrict it's female pitchers.

"In my experience, the best pitchers will pitch in the ASA style."

Not my experience. A young lady around here took her H.S. team to the State Championship game three years in a row, winning two of them. Big windup and huge step back. When she came forward it looked like she was shooting right in front of you. In fact, I think that most of the top pitchers in this state the last few years used the step back style.

I can take a 10 y.o. and teach her to pitch either style. But she will develop more speed and power with the step back method than with the trapped ASA method.

WMB
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

Big windup and huge step back. When she came forward it looked like she was shooting right in front of you.
See, it's not unknown why ASA did it.

Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
... snip ...
I really don't think that it is a big deal. The majority of girls only pitch in H.S. or Rec ball. Even many of the Summer Tournament organizations (USSSP, Pony) use H.S. pitching rules.

... snip ...
WMB

[Edited by WestMichBlue on Apr 23rd, 2004 at 11:42 AM] [/B]
Even though PONY allows the non-pivot foot to be off the plate, saying they use HS rules is not entirely accurate.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
A question best answered by Glen (connection to Walter Sparks) or WMB. I'm a relative novice in Fed ball.
That was a question asked of Walter Sparks in Feb. He said
he did not see that changing. Also asked was the no contact
no interference. That will never happen. The only real change
he hoped would take place that would be tabled was going to ASA's
new OBS rule. IOW's drop the about to receive part of the rule.
However, will have wait and see.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.