The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

My KISS theory about legal bats and what to check.

1. All bats are legal, regardless of certification marks (2000 or 2004) or recert mark or absence of marks - if they are not on the banned list.

2. If that is true, then I do not need to carry the 16 page list of 300 - 400 legal bats. I only need the Banned List of 14 bats.

3. Eleven of the banned bats are SP bats. I can assume that high school age girls are not swinging 34", 27 to 30 oz bats. (If they are using a 34" bat, they want a "drop" of 10oz - 11 oz so they are using 23-24 oz bats.)

4. The three FP bats are all WORTH QUADS, models EST9, XEST9X, and QESTFP. (They are all 8.5 to 9 oz drop bats, so probably not too many girls are going to be using them.)

5. Only critical note is that WORTH is now selling a QESTFPA which is legal.

If my KISS theory is correct, then all I need is a bat ring and a look for WORTH QUADs. If I see a QUAD, I check the list of three banned bats.

Have I got it right?

WMB
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Talking

WMB,
For Fed in Pennsylvania, that is not so.

1-ALL legal bats must have a certification mark AND not be on the banned bat list. No mark=illegal, on banned list also=illegal

2-True, but in Pa, it is the coaches who must provide the current list - my list is in my car and is dated Feb. If a coach does not have the current list, I have paperwork to do in reporting the coach to the state.

3-true - or so I'd expect.

4&5 - kinda like last year's 3DX & 3DXFP

Carry the entire banned bat list - it's only 1 page.

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Our state ASA commissioner included in our registration packet a nice little laminated bi-fold card that contains a summary of the bat rule and a list of all of the banned bats. The only thing I have to do is check the web site regularly to see if any banned bats have been added and either make a mental or paper note.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I attended a clinic this year where the clinician handed out a laminated card with the banned bats that fits nicely into the ball bag or pocket. Comes in real handy!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

1. All bats are legal, regardless of certification marks (2000 or 2004) or recert mark or absence of marks - if they are not on the banned list.

2. If that is true, then I do not need to carry the 16 page list of 300 - 400 legal bats. I only need the Banned List of 14 bats.

3. Eleven of the banned bats are SP bats. I can assume that high school age girls are not swinging 34", 27 to 30 oz bats. (If they are using a 34" bat, they want a "drop" of 10oz - 11 oz so they are using 23-24 oz bats.)

If my KISS theory is correct, then all I need is a bat ring and a look for WORTH QUADs. If I see a QUAD, I check the list of three banned bats.

Have I got it right?

WMB
1 - No Cert mark at all = Illegal
2 - I agree with this where 2000 or 2004 stamp + Not on Banned list=Legal
3 - I dont go there, I have seen ALOT of 34/27 oz bats used in FP as a matter of fact my DD uses a 34/27 Miken Freak (SP Bat - Miken's replacement for banned Ultra 2) and 85% of her team uses this bat. I have also seen alot of other SP bats being used in FP.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

In Indiana:

If it's not on the APPROVED BAT LIST then the bat is ILLEGAL. End of story.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

4. The three FP bats are all WORTH QUADS, models EST9, XEST9X, and QESTFP. (They are all 8.5 to 9 oz drop bats, so probably not too many girls are going to be using them.)

5. Only critical note is that WORTH is now selling a QESTFPA which is legal.

Have I got it right?

WMB
WMB,

For Texas you need the banned bat list. If a coach has a bat she thinks
is legal, she better have a copy of the approved bat list and have it
highlighted. Most of the umpires in our chapter carry the approved list,
but not on us. We were instructed to leave it in the car. Then if
the bat becomes a "big issue" produce the approved bat list.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Do not assume that because a bat is a SP bat a girl will not show up with one. It happens especially at HS age.

Though I'm not the UIC for NFHS, but I've received numerous e-mails about HS girls sharing their dad's SP bat.

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

To: STEVE M, DUKAT, and FUBLUE

When you go to your game tomorrow, you pick up my bat. Louisville Slugger TPSFP 34/27. No 2000 stamp or anything else. Not on the 2004 ASA Banned List.

Now what? Do you use your own judgment? It's not a very hi-tech looking bat; cheap CU31 Aluminum Alloy. Is it OK, or are you going to your car to check the Approved List?

If you do go to the car, you won't find it listed on the 2004 ASA Approved list? So it doesn't have a stamp; it's not banned, and it is not approved. Now what?

WMB
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When you go to your game tomorrow, you pick up my bat. Louisville Slugger TPSFP 34/27. No 2000 stamp or anything else. Not on the 2004 ASA Banned List.

Now what? Do you use your own judgment? It's not a very hi-tech looking bat; cheap CU31 Aluminum Alloy. Is it OK, or are you going to your car to check the Approved List?

If you do go to the car, you won't find it listed on the 2004 ASA Approved list? So it doesn't have a stamp; it's not banned, and it is not approved. Now what?

WMB
1. If a bat does not have a certification seal on it but it appears on the ASA Approvd Bat list and the coach can show you the number on the approved listing, then the bat can be used.

2. The UIL desires that all umpires have a copy of the "Approved" Bat list in their possession. This copy can be in the umpire's equipment bag or vehicle. The only list to be carried on the field is the "Banned" bat list. The "Approved" listing would be available if, for some reason, you needed to refer to it."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
This from Walter Sparks. Going by 1., then I would not allow the
bat in the game. It may not be banned as per say by "banned bat list,"
but it is not approved either. Disallow the bat.
JMHO from the way the message from W. Sparks is worded. Since he
is our boss, we just follow his directions.

Unlined where the changes I made to by post.

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Apr 16th, 2004 at 10:07 PM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

From the ASA Web Site

ASA Bat Testing & Certification Program

The official bat in ASA Championship Play must meet all of the requirements of Rule 3, Section 1 and:

1. must bear either the ASA approved 2000 certification mark or the ASA 2004 certification mark as shown below, and must not be listed on an ASA non approved list, OR

2. must be included on a list of approved bat models published by the ASA National Office; OR

3. must, in the sole opinion and discretion of the umpire, have been manufactured prior to 2000 and if tested, would comply with the ASA bat performance standards then in effect.

WMB
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

WMB
In NFHS I would not allow it - No Stamp, No Go
In ASA I would - Per Rule 3 which NFHS does not support which gives Umpire discretion on older non stamped bats
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

"Rule 3 which NFHS does not support"

Actually NFHS does support line number 1 and 2 from Rule 3. Are you saying that #3 - the Umpire Option statement is not allowed by NFHS? If so, based on what?

I realize that the FAQ on the NFHS web site "suggests" that the only way to be legal is to be on the list. However, the 2004 Rule Book only states that bats have to meet the 2004 ASA Bat Performance Standard.

That's it; one simple sentence (1.5.4). The NFHS book deliberately does not use much text on this subject, other than to point you to the ASA web site. Where you find the Bat Testing and Certification Program that I referenced above.

WMB
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Talking

WMB -
For Pennsylvania NFHS ball (PIAA)

"When you go to your game tomorrow, you pick up my bat. Louisville Slugger TPSFP 34/27. No 2000 stamp or anything else. Not on the 2004 ASA Banned List."

This bat is not allowed in the high school game because it has no seal/stamp. I don't look at any list - never get that far. No 2000 or 2004 seal means this bat does not get into a high school game in Pa. This ruling comes directly from our state interpreter.

In an ASA game, I'll look for the list and maybe the bat may be used. My partner & I will talk and it will be our joint decision with no input or valid opinion from anyone else.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Change the state Pennsylvania Steve said in his last post to Mississippi and the response would be the same. Our interperter stated quite bluntly in our Fed meeting that no stamp = No go.