The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

At some point during the game, you notice a new girl comming up to bat, one you haven't seen at the plate today. You ask the coach if this is a new player and he says "I told the other team about this sub". Other team agrees that they were informed at the beginning of the inning. Do you have a unreported sub? You weren't told but the opposing team was.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
At some point during the game, you notice a new girl comming up to bat, one you haven't seen at the plate today. You ask the coach if this is a new player and he says "I told the other team about this sub". Other team agrees that they were informed at the beginning of the inning. Do you have a unreported sub? You weren't told but the opposing team was.
Sub is legal.
Don't look for bits of mucous.
mick
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds good. Just checking.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Sub is legal.
Don't look for bits of mucous.
mick
Although I wholeheartedly agree with Mick, I would also remind the coach to let me know about all substitutions as well.

I also cover this as part of my pregame speech - "Coaches, please run all substitutions through me"
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, but I wouldn't even check with the other team. Once the coach confirms it, it is reported. You tell the scorekeeper (if applicable) and then TELL the opposing team.

Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I do the same as Andy. In high school & ASA, I'll say something like "Make sure you run all changes through me and I will not let you get into trouble with the loineup." For college games, I don't tell coaches that I won't let them get into trouble.

AND
Any time I have a sub on offense, I will go to that coach as they head out on defense and ask if there is a re-entry.

[Edited by Steve M on Apr 9th, 2004 at 10:02 PM]
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
loineup

Hey Steve, is this a new type uniform? Kinda like a loin cloth or what? Does it have pockets?
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Rick,
Guilty of showing off my fat fingers again. Oh well.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Rabbit ears!

This is one time it can be a good thing for the umpire to have rabbit ears. Preventive umpiring keeps many folks out of what can be considered as sticky situations.

Had an adult men's game where the defending team's scorekeeper yelled to F3 (player/manager) that he thought the in the box was a new batter. The batter had a 1-1 count on him. I asked the batter, "are you a sub?" He said yes and gave me the name of the player for whom he was batting.

The Player/Manager went ballistic while approaching the plate. This was when I was informed that I, as the umpire, am not allowed to ask the batter any questions and that I gave that team an unfair advantage. After pointing out that it was his scorekeeper that raised the issue, I said thank you and told him to return to his position. After the game he told me that he was going to my boss (UIC, I guess) and get this straightened out. I guess he was mighty disappointed when he didn't get to hear what he wanted.

The following year, he registered to be an umpire. He attended all the clinics and school, understood why I did what I did and worked a couple of years before he quit. He quit because he admittedly couldn't stand the coaches who didn't know anything screaming at him. Hmmmmm?

I haven't seen him since.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Apr 10th, 2004 at 10:02 AM]