The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Orange vs. White (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/13090-orange-vs-white.html)

Yeggman Mon Apr 05, 2004 01:22pm

ASA 10U FP

In the 19th game of FP in my young career, the following happened (which was reminiscent of question #99 on ASA exam):

Nobody on, nobody out. F3 playing in for potential bunt. B1 hits sharp grounder (fair) off F3 which goes into foul territory. F3 retrieves ball and beats B1 to orange safety base by about 3 steps (she can use orange base because of rule 8-2-M-3, I believe), but F3 remains standing on orange base.
B1 slows and runs into F3 standing on orange base. B1's coach wanted me to rule obstruction. I said no way.

Was this correct?

mcrowder Mon Apr 05, 2004 01:56pm

What in the world did he think B1 was obstructed from doing, considering B1 was out by 3 steps?

kono Mon Apr 05, 2004 02:13pm

Can someone explain to me how you can obstruct a runner who has been declared out??? Come to think of it - she's not even a runner any more ;-)

-Kono

TexBlue Mon Apr 05, 2004 02:16pm

It seems to me like the coach should just be glad there weren't anymore runners on base or else there would be interference and 2 outs instead of just one.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 05, 2004 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Yeggman
ASA 10U FP

In the 19th game of FP in my young career, the following happened (which was reminiscent of question #99 on ASA exam):

Nobody on, nobody out. F3 playing in for potential bunt. B1 hits sharp grounder (fair) off F3 which goes into foul territory. F3 retrieves ball and beats B1 to orange safety base by about 3 steps (she can use orange base because of rule 8-2-M-3, I believe), but F3 remains standing on orange base.
B1 slows and runs into F3 standing on orange base. B1's coach wanted me to rule obstruction. I said no way.

Was this correct?

Coach: Come on, Blue! Don't you know your rules, my runner was obstructed.

Umpire: You know what, Coach, you are absolutely right. I'm going to award that player what he would have gotten had the obstruction not occured.

Coach: Damn straight! About time we got an umpire who knows the rules.

Umpire: Thanks, Coach. You can send your player to the bench now because that is where she would have ended up had the obstruction not occured.

TexBlue Mon Apr 05, 2004 03:39pm

Well, Mike that's pretty doggoned diplomatic of you. With just the right touch of smart aleck in there. Not sure that conversation would end right there, but I sure like the direction it's going.

MichaelVA2000 Mon Apr 05, 2004 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TexBlue
Well, Mike that's pretty doggoned diplomatic of you. With just the right touch of smart aleck in there. Not sure that conversation would end right there, but I sure like the direction it's going.
I'm with TexBlue, I doubt if the chat is ending there. Last season I was watching a game where the coach and umpire exchanged some barbs and the coach ended the conversation by saying "I didn't think we had a real umpire out here, today we have a struggling comedian that has had to bring his act to a ball field."

MichaelVA

whiskers_ump Mon Apr 05, 2004 04:46pm

That is sorta like the coach saying "Come on Blue, you're
missing a good game."
"I know coach, but my assigner told me I had to do this game."

TexBlue Mon Apr 05, 2004 04:51pm

<I> Originally posted by whiskers_ump:
</I>
<B>_____________________________________________ _

missing a good game."

Ouch!!!

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 05, 2004 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
missing a good game."

Been there, used it. Most aren't quick enough to catch on.