The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Officiating.com is searching for writers who are qualified softball officials. Why "give away" your thoughts in the Forum? Send them to us, and we'll pay you for them.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Mar 30th, 2004 at 09:10 AM]
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Officiating.com is searching for writers who are qualified softball officials. Why "give away" your thoughts in the Forum? Send them to us, and we'll pay you for them.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. We don't charge umpires for clinics, why would I or anyone else ask for remuneration for discussing rules and possibly helping someone be a better umpire or get a better understanding of a rule or different interpretation.

Everyone on this forum has some good input to help others. This is a very good forum, and I am extremely appreciative of Officiating.Com.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. We don't charge umpires for clinics, why would I or anyone else ask for remuneration for discussing rules and possibly helping someone be a better umpire or get a better understanding of a rule or different interpretation.

Everyone on this forum has some good input to help others. This is a very good forum, and I am extremely appreciative of Officiating.Com.

"We don't charge umpires for clinics?" I know plenty of umpires who wish that was true.

The point of my metaphor is being lost. What I sought to convey is that those who post messages could probably write articles, which are just lengthy messages.

I'm glad you approve of Officiating.com. Remember, though, that it's the paid subscribers to that magazine who keep this and the other boards running. But if my message is one of the most ridiculous things you've ever heard, you've been living in a controlled environment. Why, I've heard a lot more ridiculous things. For instance, it was a costume malfunction. Now THAT was ridiculous.

The teachers who instruct my grandson get paid; the doctor who's treating my atrial fibrilation gets paid (boy, does he); Gerry Davis gets paid for his clinics. Merle Butler gets paid for his clinics. I get paid for editing the articles in our magazine. You would get paid if you wrote for us.

Let's assume you have material that's worth sharing. You spend several hours preparing and polishing it. Do you mean to say it's wrong to accept payment under those circumstances?

If you're a Little League softball umpire and so do not get paid, then writing for us would be a legitimate way to pay for your equipment and uniforms. If you accept money for umpiring, though, why wouldn't you consider doing the same thing for your writing?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Remember that much of what is written on officiating.com is not really rule-related. People contribute humorous reminiscences, recount the history and development of the game, interview experienced umpires, and so on. I would think that most posters on the forum have experienced much that others would like to read but that isn't likely to find an outlet on the threads. Why not write about it?

Rules are sometimes involved on the site, but from a different angle. In the forum, someone usually posts a "what if" question, and others discuss and answer it. On the site, a writer is more apt to consider a play and its variations and expound on the factors involved in making a judgment.

I think one can be both a writer for officiating.com and a full participant in the threads.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen,

Please don't take that wrong. I have no problem of people writing articles about the playing and officiating of the sport they love.

Maybe it was just the "why give it away if you can get paid" thing that got to me.

And in Delaware, the only training an ASA umpire or trainee pays for is a $15 fee for the state school which includes a school shirt. This school is fashioned after the National School developed by Tom Mason (DE) and is required within the first 3 years of umpiring ASA ball.

DASA hasn't charged anyone for clinics and training sessions for as long as I've been involved (at least 16 years). I have no intention of changing that anytime soon.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Gentlemen,

Please don't take that wrong. I have no problem of people writing articles about the playing and officiating of the sport they love.

Maybe it was just the "why give it away if you can get paid" thing that got to me.

And in Delaware, the only training an ASA umpire or trainee pays for is a $15 fee for the state school which includes a school shirt. This school is fashioned after the National School developed by Tom Mason (DE) and is required within the first 3 years of umpiring ASA ball.

DASA hasn't charged anyone for clinics and training sessions for as long as I've been involved (at least 16 years). I have no intention of changing that anytime soon.

Nice service, Mike.
Attaboys your way.
mick