The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Once again my brother and I were in a discussion and the following subject came up; The BR drops the bat in fair territory on the way to first on a bunt and the ball comes in contact with bat. Is there any rule in the NHFS book that stipulates this occurrence?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

2004 NFHS Softball Rule 7-4-k is the rule your looking for. Then read Case Book 7.4.1 Situation F, this should answear your questions.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
The way it was explained to me a long time ago, if the bat hits the ball, I've got my out. If the ball hits the bat, it's a live ball, keep going.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:58pm
VaASAump

Wow, wondering if that was your team I had last week at a scrimmage.

Batter lays down a bunt. As she comes out of the batter's box, she drops her bat down in fair territory.. As the catcher and pitcher come in, the ball (repeat, the ball) rolls against the bat (which is by now laying still). The catcher picks up the ball, but doesn't throw it anywhere. Defense coach comes out of dugout asking us what is the ruling on the field. I tell coach that the batter-runner is safe at first. When he asks why, I reply, "Hmmm. let's see, catcher picks up ball, catcher holds ball, catcher don't throw it to no one. I've got batter-runner safe at first since she beat the non-existing throw to first."

Coach tells me that BR should be out. It's a safety thing. Tells me that rule book says that BR has to throw the bat into foul territory.

Why do I always end up with the outdated rules books? Mine says 2004. But since my rules book doesn't have this rule in it, NFHS must have recently come out with an update that I didn't get.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I knew it was in there but we could not find it for nothing, I must have read over it a bunch of times but missed it every time. Actually it happened to me in a game and I got it right but when I was talking to my brother (Also an umpire) about it after the game and we started looking for it in the book we both were overlooking it
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
... snip ... Coach tells me that BR should be out. It's a safety thing. Tells me that rule book says that BR has to throw the bat into foul territory.

Why do I always end up with the outdated rules books? Mine says 2004. But since my rules book doesn't have this rule in it, NFHS must have recently come out with an update that I didn't get. [/B]
Best laugh of the day !
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question dropped bat

Please correct me if im wrong, but I am under the assumption that if the bat is rolling (moving) and hits the ball in fair territory, the ball is dead and the batter runner is out. But, If the ball hits the bat and the bat is stationary the batter runner is not out.

But I still would like clarification as to whether the bat "MUST BE" dropped in foul or it does not matter??

Cindy
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Cindy,
First - welcome - some of the others will put smileys & all on their welcoming posts.

Next, there is no requirement that the bat be dropped/placed/tossed in foul territory. It falls wherever it falls.

Finally, if the ball hits the bat in fair territory, it's live & should be played. If the ball hits the bat in foul territory, it's a foul. If the bat hits the ball in fair territory, it's a dead ball & an out. If the bat and the ball are moving towards each other - that's the bat hitting the ball. If the bat & ball are moving in the same direction (bat chasing ball) & they meet, that's a dead ball & an out. - If it's ball chasing bat & they meet - that's still the ball hitting the bat - keep playing.