The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Where, if at all, does the rule book say two fielders may not have possesion of the ball at the same time? Willing to know all associations but really interested in ASA ruling..... Bases loaded, 0 outs, ball hit to pitcher, pither runs into the plate and attempts to "hand" the ball to the catcher who is standing on the plate. Runner touches plate and as pitcher pulls her hand from the catchers glove the ballis still in her possesion. Please note: 10 & Under age group. What's the call?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Where, if at all, does the rule book say two fielders may not have possesion of the ball at the same time? Willing to know all associations but really interested in ASA ruling..... Bases loaded, 0 outs, ball hit to pitcher, pither runs into the plate and attempts to "hand" the ball to the catcher who is standing on the plate. Runner touches plate and as pitcher pulls her hand from the catchers glove the ballis still in her possesion. Please note: 10 & Under age group. What's the call?
Clarify - "...and as pitcher pulls her hand from the catchers glove the ball is still in the pitcher's possesion..."

Assuming that is what you meant, then the ruling I would make is the catcher never had control of the ball.

Tagging the plate is not like laying on of hands to pass along apostolic succession (sorry - too much publicity about "The Passion"...) The player who is tagging the base must have control of the ball. One of the tests of control is "voluntary release". This description would not pass that test for me ... it sounds like the pitcher retained control of the ball but merely put in in the catcher's glove for a moment. I'd rule the runner safe.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Safe....

The home plate umpire did indeed rule runner safe. And used the "lack of Control" reasoning. But we were looking for something in the book that would help clearify or back up this ruling.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Tagging the plate is not like laying on of hands to pass along apostolic succession (sorry - too much publicity about "The Passion"...)
Love it !!
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Re: Safe....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
The home plate umpire did indeed rule runner safe. And used the "lack of Control" reasoning. But we were looking for something in the book that would help clearify or back up this ruling.
See the definition of "Catch" in any rule book (NFHS, NCAA, ASA, PONY).
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have my book with me but I would think somewhere "runner is safe" under section 8 might show something. Basically the runner reached a base before a fielder in posession with the ball tagged her, or stepped on base in a force situation.