The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Tell me what to use for a definitive point for the top of the zone.

I suggest the armpits, instead of the top that is used now at high levels: basically the MLB top of a few years ago.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Tell me what to use for a definitive point for the top of the zone.

I suggest the armpits, instead of the top that is used now at high levels: basically the MLB top of a few years ago.
That's already the top of the ASA zone and I really don't care about MLB since they barely crest the belt buckle/snap. We are talking softball here.

Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I am aware that the armpits are the top of the zone—in the book. How many umps at high levels call a pitch at the armpits a strike?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Yes, I am aware that the armpits are the top of the zone—in the book. How many umps at high levels call a pitch at the armpits a strike?
Okay, let's review.

Andy jokingly suggested redefining the strike zone to help eliminate 50% of the arguments on eteamz.

I suggested that wouldn't be a problem. If he could give a definitive point for the top of the strike zone, I would consider taking it to the NUS for a possible rule change.

To offer the same definition wouldn't exactly be "redefining" anything, let alone worthy of a change in the rule.

Hence, the redundancy of your offer.

Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Most of the umpires I know try to do a good job of calling the softball strike zone, although there is a definite "personal style" component. Within reason, I don't think this kind of variation will generate much controversy.

I do get a big internal (unvoiced on the web debates) chuckle out of coaches just barely in the double digits of games coached, just a year away from T-ball suddenly becoming experts in the strike zone and the "crow hop" - by which they usually mean leap. It is a rare 10U pitcher where either of these issues matters one whit.

Nonetheless, one productive change ASA might consider would be to better define what "in" the zone means. Since the umpire manual suggests (without saying directly) that "in" on the top and bottom means "the entire ball within the zone; and that on the inside and outside means "any part of the ball touching the zone" - why not just put that in the definition (rule 1)?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

On the original question, I'd like to see the leap legalized (toe down), even without moving the plate, but simplify the crow hop rule to say simply that it is illegal to push off the first time from anywhere other than the plate, and it is illegal to push off more than once. The pitcher should be free to do with her stride foot whatever she wants (backward step, whatever), but must land within the 24". The pivot foot can do whatever also, even land outside the 24", so long as there is not another push.

Free up the umpires to be looking for what actually matters - a push off closer to the batter than the pitcher's plate.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I have often wondered why ASA differentiates between male FP and female FP where the leap is concerned.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
On the original question, I'd like to see the leap legalized (toe down), even without moving the plate, but simplify the crow hop rule to say simply that it is illegal to push off the first time from anywhere other than the plate, and it is illegal to push off more than once.
ASA book already makes that statement concerning a crow hop.

Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
ASA book already makes that statement concerning a crow hop.
Yes, but it says it in a complicated way (steps, hops, or drags, ... second impetus ... pushes off from the newly established starting point...). How about simply,...

CROW HOP. A crow hop is a push off from anywhere other than the pitcher's plate prior to the stride foot landing.

Or even better, just dropping any mention of "crow hop" from the rule book and just leave the first sentence of the existing (2003) rule 6-3H to deal with it.