The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Last year was my first as an ASA Slow Pitch umpire. I had one particular player who would always argue for runner interference. Here's the scenario. Runner at 1b. Batter hits a ground ball to SS who steps on second retiring the runner. The runner is about 5-10 feet off of 2nd when he is put out and does not veer off or duck when the SS makes his throw to 1st. He basically continues toward 2nd without making an effort to get out of the way. He doesn't move into the throw, nor does he veer off or get down.

The player has said to me on two different occassions that the runner has to veer off. I find no such requirement in the rule book. But is this interference?
What do you call? Interference on the runner and the batter-runner out or no call?

Thanks!
Randall
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Last year was my first as an ASA Slow Pitch umpire. I had one particular player who would always argue for runner interference. Here's the scenario. Runner at 1b. Batter hits a ground ball to SS who steps on second retiring the runner. The runner is about 5-10 feet off of 2nd when he is put out and does not veer off or duck when the SS makes his throw to 1st. He basically continues toward 2nd without making an effort to get out of the way. He doesn't move into the throw, nor does he veer off or get down.

The player has said to me on two different occassions that the runner has to veer off. I find no such requirement in the rule book. But is this interference?
What do you call? Interference on the runner and the batter-runner out or no call?

Thanks!
Randall
I don't call anything as there is nothing to call unless the runner does something that actually interferes with the SS.

The SS is wrong. Period. If he persists and eventually nails a retired runner to prove his point, toss him and don't hesitate to be a witness in the runner's lawsuit.

Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

rwest, in your umpiring career you will hear "Hey, Blue, he can't . . ." and "Hey, Blue, he has to . . ." many times.

As in, "Hey, Blue, he has to hold the ball for 3 seconds!"
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Randall:

It is the other way around: if the runner moves out of his line, that might cause an interference! How should the runner know where the Fielder will go to make a throw?

But the Fielder can assume one thing: there is a runner who doesn't move, so I can go to either side of him without him being there!

Raoul