The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I think I understand this, just need confirmation.

If an unreported substitute bats and safely makes it on base, if the defense appeals before the next legal/illegal pitch, he/she is removed and disqualified. Can he/she be replace by a substitute? I believe the answer is YES.

If no substitute is available, an out is recorded, correct?

This is different than an illegal player because by rule an illegal player is declared out and disqualified and there can be no substitute.

Have I got this right?

Thanks!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

RWEST - If this is a NFHS game you are incorrect in the play stated. If this is the first time that the unreported substitute had been in the game and this is the first time that this has happened to the team at bat, the PU will issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game. NFHS 3-6-12 Penalty.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I should have said this was ASA

Oops! Forgot to give you guys all the pertinent info. I'm talking about ASA Slow Pitch.

Thanks!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Which rules?
In NFHS, the first unreported sub only generates a team warning and subsequent unreported subs are restricted to the bench.

ASA is a protest by the offended team, DQ as you said, when discovered unless the offending team notifies the umpire first. No sub = shorthanded and an out, as it is DQ and not ejection. Any action pre-discovery stands.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

So, are you saying...

That the sub is disqualified even if the offensive team reports the substitution after his/her at bat but before the defense appeals?

The rule books says there is no violation in this situation.

For example,

R1 at 1B, R2 at 2B. B3 is an unreported sub. B3 gets a base hit and makes it safely to 1B. R2 scores. R1 is now at 3B. Manager for the offense recognizes that the sub did not report so he informs the umpire before the defense can appeal. What do you have? I have a score, R1 at 3rd and the unreported sub is now legally in the game. I don't substitute for him/her.

Correct or am I totally confused!

[Edited by rwest on Feb 13th, 2004 at 03:37 PM]
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: So, are you saying...

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
That the sub is disqualified even if the offensive team reports the substitution after his/her at bat but before the defense appeals?

Reread the post. C-1 said "offended" team, not offensive team.