The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

My brother and I were discussing the NFHS test and had a disagreement about the wording of a DP/FLEX question and wanted everyone’s opinion on who you feel is right. The disagreement is not on how the rule is applied but rather the wording of the question. It stated that when the FLEX bats for the DP the role of the DP is "terminated"

OK we all know that when the FLEX bats for the DP the roster goes back to 9 at that point but I say that the word terminated means DEAD and never to return although we all know the DP can return and FLEX go back to the 10th spot therefore the ROLE of DP was substituted and not terminated. He states that since it goes from 10 to 9, at that point, there is no DP but rather just another player batting their position thus at that point the role is terminated. Which interpretation do you feel is right?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
I have found that the FED has their own definition for words which doesn't necessarily match Merriam'w or Webster's or Funk's or Wagnall's. In questions like the one you're discussing I would suggest that you go to the rule book and look for the word "terminated" associated with the DP/FLEX rule.

Obviously based on the accepted definition for "terminated" the position of DP is not terminted just because the FLEX player comes in on offense since either the starting DP or a sub can come into the spot.

SamC
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
My brother and I were discussing the NFHS test and had a disagreement about the wording of a DP/FLEX question and wanted everyone’s opinion on who you feel is right. The disagreement is not on how the rule is applied but rather the wording of the question. It stated that when the FLEX bats for the DP the role of the DP is "terminated"

OK we all know that when the FLEX bats for the DP the roster goes back to 9 at that point but I say that the word terminated means DEAD and never to return although we all know the DP can return and FLEX go back to the 10th spot therefore the ROLE of DP was substituted and not terminated. He states that since it goes from 10 to 9, at that point, there is no DP but rather just another player batting their position thus at that point the role is terminated. Which interpretation do you feel is right?

I asked the EXACT same question when I took the test. (A little off the topic... there were 12 QUESTIONS on the test about the FLEX rule.) My interpretation was that the question asked that if the FLEX batted for the DP, the role of the DP was TERMINATED for the entire game, which is false. The administrator agreed with my interpretation and my answer. You're right and it's false.