Cool

I know I'm going to catch flack on this--BUT---
am I the only one who thinks that this bat problem
has gone far enough ??
I mean, you have to have a daily updated list of legal
or illegal bats every time you work a game. We routinely
check bats before a game, but we all know that it would
be very easy for a player to bring an illegal bat that was
in a bag somewhere, and we would not see it.
I am not a fan of heavy-handed governing bodies-
BUT-
maybe it is time, at least at the high school/junior level
for someone to step in and make one bat become THE bat
that can be used.
or----- (perish the thought)
we all go back to WOOD !!! ????
reaction ?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I see two options:

1. Wireless internet and bar codes, so that at the time each batter comes to bat, the bat can be scanned for its legality.

- or -

2. Just don't worry about the bats, until an opposing team protest. Then have the umpire note the bat model, and it is ruled illegal by the league office, enforce whatever penalty is specified.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

When metal bats began seeing general use (early 1970s?—I can't remember exactly when), many players continued to use their wooden bats. The metal bats cost more and didn't hit the ball any farther. They didn't "ping," either; in fact, I couldn't tell by hitting the ball whether the bat was wood or metal. Metal took over not because the bats were juiced, but because they didn't break or splinter, and were impervious to water.

I remember when only genuine sluggers could hit a Dudley Day-Nite over a 10-foot fence 300 feet away. Now even the E-leaguers have trouble keeping the ball in the park, and the sluggers hit the ball 400 feet.

Many leagues now mandate a deader ball to compensate for the red-hot bats. I'd rather see a normal ball used with bats that meet a uniform (reasonable) standard for "liveness."
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
I see two options:

1. Wireless internet and bar codes, so that at the time each batter comes to bat, the bat can be scanned for its legality.

- or -

2. Just don't worry about the bats, until an opposing team protest. Then have the umpire note the bat model, and it is ruled illegal by the league office, enforce whatever penalty is specified.
SC Ump,

Why not just carry and check the non-approved list.
it only contains 9 for FP Championship Play..

However, if you are checking with approved list, better start the
clock when you enter the dugout to check...

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

What we have done here in most leagues in ND is that all bats need to be checked in with the league office before the season starts. A piece of tape with an ASA hologram is wrapped around the handle just above the grip if the bat is legal for play. Once the season starts, no sticker, no bat. Was very simple and put to onus on the players and not the umpires to have legal bats. At most tournaments here in ND they did the same thing. There was one central bat check-in. Every team had to bring their bats over, they were checked, taped if needed on off they went.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
What we have done here in most leagues in ND is that all bats need to be checked in with the league office before the season starts. A piece of tape with an ASA hologram is wrapped around the handle just above the grip if the bat is legal for play. Once the season starts, no sticker, no bat. Was very simple and put to onus on the players and not the umpires to have legal bats. At most tournaments here in ND they did the same thing. There was one central bat check-in. Every team had to bring their bats over, they were checked, taped if needed on off they went.
That is pretty much what we did for some of our tournaments in DE.

However, the county runs the leagues in this area and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting such cooperation from them. A chuckle maybe, but no cooperation.

Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That sounds like what needs to be done. Maybe get the NFHS
involved also...

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote:

involved also...

glen
I don't think the Federation has this problem.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Quote:

involved also...

glen
I don't think the Federation has this problem.
Mike,

Last year when all this banned bat list started and NFHS used
ASA's code on Bats, I did one of the largest tournaments {HS}
held in Texas....Walter Sparks was there, he will remember.
When we got finished throwing out bats, most teams had 1 or 2 left,
some did not have a legal bat.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

How's about asking our locals to put in their coaches books a reminder that use of an illegal bat opens up the user to CRIMINAL prosecution and civil lawsuits should a player be injured. Might get a few of them to notice that the rule isn't to punish but to protect.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mike,

Last year when all this banned bat list started and NFHS used
ASA's code on Bats, I did one of the largest tournaments {HS}
held in Texas....Walter Sparks was there, he will remember.
When we got finished throwing out bats, most teams had 1 or 2 left,
some did not have a legal bat.

glen
That's the problem, Glen. NFHS does not use ASA's rules, just acknowledges the approval stamp and banned bat list. In Federation, if there is no certification stamp, the bat may no be used.

If the schools were showing up with other bats, it would seem their local associations need a talking to.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

"That's the problem, Glen. NFHS does not use ASA's rules, just acknowledges the approval stamp and banned bat list. In Federation, if there is no certification stamp, the bat may no be used."

Not any more, Mike. Starting in three weeks (1/1/2004) High School bats must be on the ASA list, regardless of stamp.

NFHS is urging State Associations to establish enforcement rule; it appears they want to place the onus on the schools. One suggestion is to provide a bat inventory list (current ASA list with their bats highlighted) to the umpire prior to the game. Then bats can be physically checked against the list, and all other bats cleared from the dugout area.

To add to that idea, I would like to see the school apply (paint, sticker) a number to the bat and put that number on the inventory list. (P/U bat #7, look for 7 on the list, quickly check make and model number, and you are done.) Plus, if you see 7 on the list, but don't find the bat, then you know to ask for a private bat that is probably still in the bag.

Of course, the umpire should have his own list, just to insure that the school list is current - or if the school does not provide a list.

WMB
Old Sat Dec 06, 2003, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"That's the problem, Glen. NFHS does not use ASA's rules, just acknowledges the approval stamp and banned bat list. In Federation, if there is no certification stamp, the bat may no be used."

Not any more, Mike. Starting in three weeks (1/1/2004) High School bats must be on the ASA list, regardless of stamp.

Really? What a shame the Fed folded along with ASA & NCAA.

Mike
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

"folded?"
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
"folded?"
IMO, yes. I'm not a big fan of NFHS, but I gave them credit for sticking with the original ASA position on bats requiring the certification. Apparently, they've now chosen to take the easier path.