The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2022, 06:07pm
Administrator

Spring 2023 NFHS Softball Rules Changes.

2022-23 Softball Rules Changes
(including Editorial Changes and Points of Emphasis)

By NFHS on July 13/Wed., 2022.

https://nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/softball-rules-changes-2023/

1-4-1: Removes the number of color restrictions on a glove, including laces and seams, and does not allow any panels of the glove to match the color of the ball.
Rationale: Gloves and mitts are manufactured in variety of designs and multiple colors. As long as the color of the ball is not one of the colors used, does not have markings that give the appearance of the ball or are made in a manner that is judged distracting by the umpire it is permitted for use in NFHS Softball.

2-20-1g: A fair ball is a batted ball that while over fair territory, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.
Rationale: The ball’s status is determined at the point of interference. If an offensive player interferes with the defensive player while the ball is in fair territory, the ball is dead. Adding this language to the definition section mirrors the foul ball definition in Rule 2-25-1e.

3-2-12, 3-6-11: Removes language prohibiting the wearing of jewelry.
Rationale: Removing the language prohibiting jewelry places the softball rules in line with other NFHS sports that have removed the restriction. Umpires still have the authority to rule on anything that is considered a distraction or increases risk to any player.
4-2-1: Defines the protocol for when a fair batted ball clears the home run fence to end the game. All runs are allowed to score before the game is terminated.
Rationale: Allows for all runs to be counted when a fair batted ball clears the home run fence to end the game. All runs scored by virtue of the home run will be included in individual and team statistics.

8-2-7: New language clarifies batter-runner interference on a fly ball over foul territory.
Rationale: This has always been the enforcement but was not listed in the section covering batter-runner. The language is consistent with the rule covering interference on an initial play on a fair-batted ball and aligns with Rule 8-6-10.

2023 SOFTBALL EDITORIAL CHANGES
2-25-1e
7-1-2 PENALTY 1
7-4-1
7-4-11
8-1-1 EFFECTS 2
8-4-3d

2023 SOFTBALL POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. 1.Time Between Innings
2. Jewelry and Electronic Communication
3. Sportsmanship
4. Comparable Drying Agents
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 19, 2022, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I am surprised NFHS did not follow USA in allowing leaping.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2022, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS thinks it's a stepping stone to college; it will change when NCAA changes.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2022, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm always interested in how the rules actually read with the changes, positioning of the wording, etc.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2022, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Do you know if printed NFHS rules books will be available for 2023 and if so, when?

I'll ask the same question about USA Softball books.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2022, 12:36am
Call it as I see it.

NFHS Rulebooks will be printed.
As far as USA Rulebooks they were available as a PDF download for the umpires. USA books were printed for 2022 but limited Access to them. I received one at a National. I expect the same will happen in 2023