The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS Softball Substitution Rule. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/105746-nfhs-softball-substitution-rule.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jun 14, 2022 04:23pm

NFHS Softball Substitution Rule.

I have been doing some "housekeeping" in my officiating/umpiring files this month and I came across SITUATION 19 in the 2019-20 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations, and since NFHS Baseball and Softball Rules regarding Substitutes are somewhat different I thought I would post SITUATION 19, but not the RULING in hopes of moving the Forum out of it Summer doldrums.

SITUATION 19: Unnoticed by either team and the home plate umpire, the visiting team turns in a lineup card with eight players listed as starters and three substitute players. The visiting team had nine players on defense in the bottom of the first inning. In the top of the second inning, the home team realizes that its opponent has only eight players listed in the starting lineup. Bringing this to the attention of the home plate umpire, the home team suggests that for the remainder of the game an out should be called every time the missing spot comes to bat. The visiting team, now aware of its omission, adds to the lineup a player as the ninth defensive player. He was not one of the three substitutes listed on the lineup.

Since this is a NFHS Baseball Rules Situation, I want us to confine our RULING to NFHS Softball Rules.

Later, I will submit this SITUATION for RULINGS from NCAA and USA Softball.

MTD, Sr.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Jun 14, 2022 04:43pm

NFHS has always been about letting the players play.

No, there will not be an out in the 9th position.

We'll assume the coach (or whoever was making out the lineup card) was distracted and simply forgot to add the 9th batter. For this, s/he will receive a team warning, the player's name will be added to the 9th spot, and we'll play on.

Since it wasn't one of the 3 subs, it appears to be a simple oversight.

Cecil4 Wed Jun 15, 2022 06:22am

I agree with you about it being an oversight.
The OP does not specify how far the visitors had gotten through their lineup or whether the unlisted player had any effect defensively.

ilyazhito Fri Jun 17, 2022 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1048268)
I have been doing some "housekeeping" in my officiating/umpiring files this month and I came across SITUATION 19 in the 2019-20 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations, and since NFHS Baseball and Softball Rules regarding Substitutes are somewhat different I thought I would post SITUATION 19, but not the RULING in hopes of moving the Forum out of it Summer doldrums.

SITUATION 19: Unnoticed by either team and the home plate umpire, the visiting team turns in a lineup card with eight players listed as starters and three substitute players. The visiting team had nine players on defense in the bottom of the first inning. In the top of the second inning, the home team realizes that its opponent has only eight players listed in the starting lineup. Bringing this to the attention of the home plate umpire, the home team suggests that for the remainder of the game an out should be called every time the missing spot comes to bat. The visiting team, now aware of its omission, adds to the lineup a player as the ninth defensive player. He was not one of the three substitutes listed on the lineup.

Since this is a NFHS Baseball Rules Situation, I want us to confine our RULING to NFHS Softball Rules.

MTD, Sr.

The plate umpire should bring this up at the plate meeting. "Coach, your starting lineup only has eight players". Hopefully, a spof correction can be made there before the lineups are exchange.

Tru_in_Blu Fri Jun 17, 2022 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1048286)
The plate umpire should bring this up at the plate meeting. "Coach, your starting lineup only has eight players". Hopefully, a spof correction can be made there before the lineups are exchange.

Well, of course. But sometimes $h!t happens, which is what the OP is about.

No need to state the obvious.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Jun 26, 2022 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1048287)
Well, of course. But sometimes $h!t happens, which is what the OP is about.

No need to state the obvious.

Equally obvious, I would think is the fact that NFHS cannot legally start the game with 8 players. Nor can NCAA.

You've played an inning, so it isn't a forfeit; it can now only be a clerical error and an unreported player (sub) in that 9th position.

Warning in NFHS. In NCAA, if reported by the offended team at the right time, it can be a do-over after defensive play by the unreported player, or an out assessed to the unreported batter.

In USA Softball, where you CAN start shorthanded, you can also add a 9th when that person "arrives". It can be penalized as shorthanded until reported, it is simply unreported until reported if already using 9.

Tru_in_Blu Sun Jun 26, 2022 05:25pm

Equally obvious, I would think is the fact that NFHS cannot legally start the game with 8 players. Nor can NCAA.

So Steve, per the OP, the game really didn't start with 8 players, correct? We're told there were 3 subs.

Nine players took the field on defense. If the "unreported" player made a play that resulted in an out, wouldn't that have to be appealed prior to a next pitch or inning end?

AtlUmpSteve Tue Jun 28, 2022 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1048318)

So Steve, per the OP, the game really didn't start with 8 players, correct? We're told there were 3 subs.

Nine players took the field on defense. If the "unreported" player made a play that resulted in an out, wouldn't that have to be appealed prior to a next pitch or inning end?

Under NCAA rules, that is the case. Note, I stated "it CAN be"; my presumption the offended team proceeds as required.

In my opinion, that appeal cannot happen in NFHS; reference 3-3-3. If a sub is officially in the game (although unreported) once the ball is made live after taking that position, we need to presume the unlisted starter is also officially in the game with the same stipulation. The only result of an appeal is the warning (or restrictions if a second offense) for discovery of unreported; ref 3-6-7 Penalty.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Jul 05, 2022 03:26pm

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Doldrums continue. MTD, please give us the rulings.

Cecil4 Tue Jul 05, 2022 05:01pm

I don't see how it can be treated as anything but an unreported sub. The player not in the lineup played defense, therefore in the game and not reported.
NFHS of course, requires a warning to the manager.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jul 05, 2022 05:03pm

As requested by Tru_in_Blu:

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1048360)
Doldrums continue. MTD, please give us the rulings.

As requested by Tru-in-Blu, here is the NFHS Baseball Ruling for 2019-20 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretation, Situation 19:

RULING: This is legal. The team did start the team with nine players. The team is allowed to correct the omission and it is legal for a team to use a player not originally listed on the lineup card. (1-1-2, 4-4-1f)

MTD, Sr.