The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   nsa slow pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104576-nsa-slow-pitch.html)

bbman Thu May 23, 2019 10:36pm

nsa slow pitch

nsa slow pitch 12"
Situation:
(playing auto out , if playing short-handed).
One out, runner on third, #9 batting, (#10 would be the auto out).
Fly ball to F8, that's caught. Can runner from third tag up and attempt to score? Or is inning over because of the auto out on the next batter?
When exactly does the third out take effect?
Thanks

CecilOne Fri May 24, 2019 08:50am

I don't know about Non Standard Anachronism (here); but is USA or NFHS, the at bat of #9 would be fully completed and the auto out takes place when the #10 is due to be up.

Insane Blue Fri May 24, 2019 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032961)
I don't know about Non Standard Anachronism (here); but is USA or NFHS, the at bat of #9 would be fully completed and the auto out takes place when the #10 is due to be up.

Cecil are you saying that the runner could not tag up after the fly out???

CecilOne Fri May 24, 2019 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 1032970)
Cecil are you saying that the runner could not tag up after the fly out???

No, just the opposite.

chapmaja Sat May 25, 2019 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1032954)
nsa slow pitch 12"
Situation:
(playing auto out , if playing short-handed).
One out, runner on third, #9 batting, (#10 would be the auto out).
Fly ball to F8, that's caught. Can runner from third tag up and attempt to score? Or is inning over because of the auto out on the next batter?
When exactly does the third out take effect?
Thanks

I don't do NSA, but I would say that the auto-out would not occur until all playing action from #9's at bat ends and #10 should be entering the batters box. So yes, the tag up is absolutely legal and is the smart play in that situation.

I know in the wRECk leagues I work teams that will have the auto-out will keep the runners running to get the third out on the bases or try scoring the run, rather than having the third out be the auto-out. If puts pressure on the defense to actually make an out on the bases rather than have auto-out end the inning.

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 26, 2019 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1032998)
I don't do NSA, but I would say that the auto-out would not occur until all playing action from #9's at bat ends and #10 should be entering the batters box. So yes, the tag up is absolutely legal and is the smart play in that situation.

I know in the wRECk leagues I work teams that will have the auto-out will keep the runners running to get the third out on the bases or try scoring the run, rather than having the third out be the auto-out. If puts pressure on the defense to actually make an out on the bases rather than have auto-out end the inning.

Yeah, pretty stupid and I've told them so. Just increases the chances of starting the next inning with an out

chapmaja Sun May 26, 2019 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1033016)
Yeah, pretty stupid and I've told them so. Just increases the chances of starting the next inning with an out

The issue is if they want to start an inning with an out or end an inning with an out. Depending on the situation, the desire might be different. For example, if a runner is on third and tries coming home on a fly out (or pop out/ground out, ect for the second out) he/she puts the pressure on the defense to get the third out. If they get the run home, they've picked up a run and then get the out. And the third out becomes the automatic out. If they don't try to get the run home, they end the inning with a runner on the bases that has no chance of scoring.

The one downside would be if the runner does get thrown out, you still start with an out to start the next inning.

What's really fun is when the runner becomes the winning run in the last inning, knowing if he doesn't score, the game goes another inning.

I watch a girl (batter) in our WrecK league score a running knowing the automatic out was after her. She hit a bloop single to center that dropped for a single. CF tries throwing her out at first and over throws it. F3 then overthrows second and the ball goes to the outfield. She rounds third and the throw to the pitcher covering the plate is about 10 feet over his head, so she scored. I think it would be ruled a single with an error on the CF, an error on the first baseman, and another error on the CF who over threw the plate.

Nobody said this was good ball I was umpiring. It's better than a winning run scoring on a dropped third strike when the batter runner scores the winning run. That happened in Montana IIRC.