The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 16, 2019, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Adams low profile

Anyone using one? Cooler or hotter than normal ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-USA-UCP...r=8-1-fkmrnull
Old Tue May 21, 2019, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I'd be interested in this too. I'm looking for chest protection without the bulk.
Old Tue May 21, 2019, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't wear one, but most of the recommendations I've gotten from other umpires have been positive. The claim is that that padding deadens pretty much everything.

The only complaint has been that a high sternum shot (aka right between the nipples) basically went right through the chest armor with a solid thump.
Old Thu May 23, 2019, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I have worn one this entire season and I love it. It fits tight to the body and doesn't move during the game. For some reason I had a real issue with other chest protectors riding up...ok the reason is most likely my belly pushing it up, but anyway lets not point fingers. This fits tight and does not seem to move at all for me, it is easy enough to get on and off and I have taken a few hard shots with it and the really hard ones you "feel" but they didn't hurt if that makes sense. Overall I would recommend it, I know some are concerned with how hot it would be in summer, we had a few high 80's almost 90 with high humidity days this spring (very few this year in Indiana) but I did not feel any warmer than I did with my other chest protectors, but have not had any experience with high 90's or 100+ and high humidity
Old Fri May 24, 2019, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
It fits tight to the body
Dude, and all pants I own are "skinny jeans" (not because I bought them that way, but because that's how they fit).

Signed,
Your husky brother from PA
Old Sat May 25, 2019, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

It would be nice if Adams could use the ventilated padding that they use on their HDX chest protector.
Old Mon May 27, 2019, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It would be nice if Adams could use the ventilated padding that they use on their HDX chest protector.
I just bought one of these and impressed by the construction. I know baseball umps use the plastic ones, but I felt really restricted in my arm movements.

Did a USA tournament this weekend and another ump had a Champro Pro with soft pads that had vent holes in it. May have to investigate this one.

Anyone using it have an opinion?
Old Thu May 30, 2019, 09:06am
Stirrer of the Pot

I have one, and wore it last year in a college showcase in Spartanburg, SC when it was blazing hot. Took a shot to the upper chest on a pitch that the catcher set up on the outside corner and couldn't catch up to it. Hit me square. I really felt it, much more so than I would have using my Gerry Davis "Davishield" protector. Now, I only use the Adams when I work rec or JV games.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker