The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Mechanics Issues (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104556-mechanics-issues.html)

CecilOne Fri May 10, 2019 11:03am

Mechanics Issues

Two umpire system, not NCAA, preferably USA & NFHS.
With runners on 2nd and 3rd and the BU in the C slot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) AFAIK, the priority is always the lead runner, 3rd for this.

2) AFAIK, we are taught to move parallel to the base line. So,

a) walking the runner back to 3rd means moving parallel and perpendicular to the foul line; as opposed to 45 degree angle or forward toward the base line.

b) walking the runner back to 2nd, only if runner at 3rd not moving forward, also parallel to the base line; as opposed to 45 degree angle or forward toward the base line.

Obviously, watching the other runner as well, and not blocking the SS.
Both cases, upright, watching the ball, walking back until the runner reaches the base.

Comments, please.

Manny A Fri May 10, 2019 12:16pm

I assume you're talking about what the BU does between pitches. I always walk forward from my set position in "C" a couple of steps, and then react by moving perpendicular to the foul line or the first-to-second line extended to try and get an angle on the play. Quite often, the catcher's quick pop up throw won't give me any time to take those couple of steps forward.

CecilOne Fri May 10, 2019 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1032709)
I assume you're talking about what the BU does between pitches.

Correct.

RKBUmp Fri May 10, 2019 04:15pm

That's what I was always taught when you have 2 runners. Move straight in and then if there is a play move towards the play.

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2019 10:42am

In the 3 umpire system, no one chases, who has tag-up responsibility for 2nd base?
- 2nd base only is U1
- 1st base only is U3
- multiple runners, is 2nd base tag-up U3 or U1?

Yes, I hijacked my own thread.

Manny A Wed May 15, 2019 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032799)
In the 3 umpire system, no one chases, who has tag-up responsibility for 2nd base?
- 2nd base only is U1
- 1st base only is U3
- multiple runners, is 2nd base tag-up U3 or U1?

If you're still asking about NFHS/USA, neither mentions in their umpire manuals what happens with a fly ball in the outfield when nobody chases. The expectation is that someone always chases. The non-chasing umpire has R1, and the PU has R2.

The NCAA's CCA manual states that U1 has tag-up responsibility of both R1 and R2.

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2019 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1032836)
NFHS/USA, neither mentions in their umpire manuals what happens with a fly ball in the outfield when nobody chases The expectation is that someone always chases. . .

Exactly !

Quote:

The non-chasing umpire has R1, and the PU has R2.

I think you reversed those, PU has lead runner.

Quote:

The NCAA's CCA manual states that U1 has tag-up responsibility of both R1 and R2.

I never discuss NCAA

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2019 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1032711)
That's what I was always taught when you have 2 runners. Move straight in and then if there is a play move towards the play.

You say move in, I said to the side (parallel and perpendicular to the foul line), which is the difference I am trying to resolve and hopefully 45 degrees is not the answer.

teebob21 Wed May 15, 2019 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032845)
You say move in, I said to the side (parallel and perpendicular to the foul line), which is the difference I am trying to resolve and hopefully 45 degrees is not the answer.

Move towards the circle, parallel with 3BL. Don't reach the 2B-3B line unless there is a play at 3B. If the throw goes to 2B, drop step back towards where you started at C and simultaneously get as close to 2B as possible for a call. The angle is going to be crap regardless.

The 2-Umpire System is basically nothing but compromises for BU working between pitches with multiple runners on.

teebob21 Wed May 15, 2019 11:08pm

Quote:

If you're still asking about NFHS/USA, neither mentions in their umpire manuals what happens with a fly ball in the outfield when nobody chases.

The very last page of the Fed manual has tag-up responsibilities for when no one chases in 3-man. (Looking at the 16/17 Fed manual, page 54)

R1/R2: U1 has 1B, U3 has 2B.
R2/R3: U1 has 2B, U3 has 3B.
R1/R3: U1 has 1B, U3 has 3B.
Bases loaded: U1 has 1B & 2B, U3 has 3B.

I assume this is the same for ASA/USA, but I can't find an umpire manual right now, since they separated it from the rule book/"participant manual".

Manny A Thu May 16, 2019 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032844)
I think you reversed those, PU has lead runner.

Actually, I used the NCAA convention of calling R2 the runner who starts out at second base, and R1 the runner at first base. Hard habit to break. :o

Manny A Thu May 16, 2019 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1032856)
The very last page of the Fed manual has tag-up responsibilities for when no one chases in 3-man. (Looking at the 16/17 Fed manual, page 54)

I assume this is the same for ASA/USA, but I can't find an umpire manual right now, since they separated it from the rule book/"participant manual".

I checked the PDF version of the 2018 USA Umpire Manual that is on their website, and there is no tag-up responsibilities table for the different runner configurations. They do have a table for leaving base early.

CecilOne Thu May 16, 2019 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1032856)

Exactly, also 18/19 manual. When no one chases:
U1 has 2nd base tag with runner(s) at 2nd only, 2nd & 3rd, or bases loaded.
U3 has 2nd base tag only when with runner(s) 1st and 2nd and not 3rd.
U1 has all runners at 1st, U3 has all runners at 3rd
PU has no tag-ups

USA and NFHS mechanics are taught to be equivalent, so that applies to USA as well. Sorry I only looked at USA manual. :o

CecilOne Thu May 16, 2019 11:16am

Any more comments on this.

AFAIK, we are taught to move parallel to the base line. So,

a) walking the runner back to 3rd means moving parallel and perpendicular to the foul line; as opposed to 45 degree angle or forward toward the base line.

b) walking the runner back to 2nd, only if runner at 3rd not moving forward, also parallel to the base line; as opposed to 45 degree angle or forward toward the base line.

DaveASA/FED Thu May 16, 2019 01:56pm

When all else fails look at the umpire manual. Page 79 of the 2019 USA Softball manual

USA.1803 Umpire Supplement FINAL2-HIREZ

And for the tag up responsibilities (leaving early on a caught fly ball) when no umpire chases, U3 takes the PU responsibilities and U1 has the base umpire responsibilities in 2 umpire mechanics.

Leaving early on the pitch is in the umpire manual also.