The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Whose call (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104530-whose-call.html)

CecilOne Tue Apr 09, 2019 07:36pm

Whose call

Runners on 1st and 2nd, batted ball to right side, between F3 playing in and F4 playing normal depth. Batted ball hits R2 at a greater depth than F3, less depth than F4.

As the ball went between F3 and F4, is the call of primary opportunity to make a play decided by the PU or the BU in C slot?

NFHS if it matters.

Tru_in_Blu Tue Apr 09, 2019 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032249)
Runners on 1st and 2nd, batted ball to right side, between F3 playing in and F4 playing normal depth. Batted ball hits R2 at a greater depth than F3, less depth than F4.

As the ball went between F3 and F4, is the call of primary opportunity to make a play decided by the PU or the BU in C slot?

NFHS if it matters.

I had this situation in an elimination game in a tournament a couple of years ago. I was BU. Defense was in a bunt defense posture with runners on first base and second base.

Lefty slap hitter faked a standard bunt and then pulled a ball past F3 which then hit R2 in the foot. PU called an immediate dead ball and R2 out and awarded BR first base. R1 back to second base.

I was awaiting some kind of argument from the offense's coach but it never came. So we played on.

After the game, I asked my partner about the call. There was no doubt about the ball hitting the runner. But I asked if he thought F4 would have been able to make a play on the ball. He said he didn't think so. I asked if he recalled where F3 was playing when the batter hit the ball. At that point I think his light bulb turned on and he realized that he probably should have let the play continue.

To answer the OP's question, I think it may depend upon who had a clear view of the action. PU would have a good view of F3/F4 and their relative horizontal positions. BU may have a superior view of the depth of the fielders. So whomever thinks they have a good view of the play would make a call if necessary.

Once my partner called a DB, all action ceased. Had the offense protested, I think we could have fixed it even if the defense wouldn't have liked it. But since no complaints, I let it go until our post game.

Manny A Wed Apr 10, 2019 03:59pm

That's gotta be the PU's call. I don't see how the BU in "C" is going to be able to tell that F4 had a shot at making the play or not. It's not going to be very credible if he/she makes the call when the PU has a better look at F4's position and movement toward the ball. The only way I see the BU calling it is if it's blatantly obvious she could make the play (e.g., she's leaning down to field it and not shifting laterally with speed), and the PU just has a brain cramp.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1032257)
That's gotta be the PU's call. I don't see how the BU in "C" is going to be able to tell that F4 had a shot at making the play or not. It's not going to be very credible if he/she makes the call when the PU has a better look at F4's position and movement toward the ball. The only way I see the BU calling it is if it's blatantly obvious she could make the play (e.g., she's leaning down to field it and not shifting laterally with speed), and the PU just has a brain cramp.

Let's keep in mind that from the OP, the correct call here might be no call.

Lots of players, coaches, and some umpires will be very quick to make the dead ball call when a batted ball hits a runner. But sometimes, given the position of the fielders, no call should be made at all.

CecilOne Thu Apr 11, 2019 02:44pm

I tried to be as clear as possible, but not that far apart just different depth, so one or the other had a play

teebob21 Mon Apr 15, 2019 04:44pm

IMHO, this is PU primary call in 2-man, and I am OK with BU coming in with INT if PU passes on it and BU is 10,000% sure.